Default Alone in the ocean

Doing some research for a story.. so please, excuse this basic
information type questioning.

The story takes place on a 150-200; foot barge-type ship. An older one,
single engine, mid 1960s model (or not this isn't specific at all, but
it's not brand spanking new at all). If needed a half dozen or so
people on this ship.

1. Can a boat like that even make it across the Atlantic, will the
waves kill it (does it have capacity for fuel,. etc) Assuming more or
less empty (as opposed to hauling lead or something)

2. Where does a ship like that get electricity?

3. If it can cross the Atlantic, how long would it take (ballpark)

4. If it ran out of fuel in the middle of the ocean without
communication:
a) what are the chances someone "sees" is? How busy is it out there
b) if no one saw it, how long can a ship just sit in the ocean
floating around before the hull rots and water comes in? (months,
years... assume it is just sitting there)
c) can a ship like that anchor... I mean generally how "deep" is the
"middle of the ocean"

Lastly does anyone have a good "bullet point" set of open water laws
(aka can anyone just climb on my ship, who would I tell they did, what
is legal and not legal on a ship in the middle of the ocean?)

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 18 May 2005 13:07:36 -0700, wrote:

Doing some research for a story.. so please, excuse this basic
information type questioning.

The story takes place on a 150-200; foot barge-type ship. An older one,
single engine, mid 1960s model (or not this isn't specific at all, but
it's not brand spanking new at all). If needed a half dozen or so
people on this ship.

Most of the tug/barge combinations can do that easily. In addition,
there are self-powered "barges" built for cable laying, pipe work, rig
positioning which can accommodate up to 100 people depending on the
vessel - sometimes more.

1. Can a boat like that even make it across the Atlantic, will the
waves kill it (does it have capacity for fuel,. etc) Assuming more or
less empty (as opposed to hauling lead or something)

Yes.

2. Where does a ship like that get electricity?

Onboard generators usually.

3. If it can cross the Atlantic, how long would it take (ballpark)

Steaming 24/7, roughly 10 to 14 days max.

4. If it ran out of fuel in the middle of the ocean without
communication:
a) what are the chances someone "sees" is? How busy is it out there

If it's in normal shipping lanes, not unusual to be "discovered".
Once you get outside the shipping lanes, you are pretty much screwed.

b) if no one saw it, how long can a ship just sit in the ocean
floating around before the hull rots and water comes in? (months,
years... assume it is just sitting there)

More years than you are likely to live. :)

c) can a ship like that anchor... I mean generally how "deep" is the
"middle of the ocean"

Miles.

Lastly does anyone have a good "bullet point" set of open water laws
(aka can anyone just climb on my ship, who would I tell they did, what
is legal and not legal on a ship in the middle of the ocean?)

http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/adlawnet.html but it's not a bullet
point presentation of the various laws, rules, policies and
regulations.

You will be able to find what you want on that site, but you'll have
to dig for it.

If you are asking about maritime salvage laws, it's generally 15/20
percent of the value of the vessel being salvaged. Basically, if you
accept an offer of help, you are responsible for paying a fee and the
fee can be healthy.

Later,

Tom
Harry.Krause

On 18 May 2005 13:07:36 -0700, wrote:

Doing some research for a story.. so please, excuse this basic
information type questioning.

The story takes place on a 150-200; foot barge-type ship. An older one,
single engine, mid 1960s model (or not this isn't specific at all, but
it's not brand spanking new at all). If needed a half dozen or so
people on this ship.

1. Can a boat like that even make it across the Atlantic, will the
waves kill it (does it have capacity for fuel,. etc) Assuming more or
less empty (as opposed to hauling lead or something)

Sure. Ive made it on much smaller boats.

2. Where does a ship like that get electricity?

Solar panels. When the sun is down, I lower a paddle wheel into the
waterconnected to a generator.

3. If it can cross the Atlantic, how long would it take (ballpark)

Ive done it in 8 hours once, but that was a speed run, with good wind.

4. If it ran out of fuel in the middle of the ocean without
communication:
a) what are the chances someone "sees" is? How busy is it out there

Lots of boats. In fact, plan on driving "thru" boats as if in a
parking lot.

b) if no one saw it, how long can a ship just sit in the ocean
floating around before the hull rots and water comes in? (months,
years... assume it is just sitting there)

Forever, as long as you have plenty of buckets.

c) can a ship like that anchor... I mean generally how "deep" is the
"middle of the ocean"

Sure, just throw it overboard.

Lastly does anyone have a good "bullet point" set of open water laws
(aka can anyone just climb on my ship, who would I tell they did, what
is legal and not legal on a ship in the middle of the ocean?)

Take a gun, a big gun. You can shot ANYBODY who tries to board without
permission.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323