Larry D Gibbs

Default Trolling/kicker motor or not?

I have a 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 which has a 3.0 135 Horsepower Mer
and have been told by my friend that I will need a trolling motor because
the main engine will not go so enough for trolling for Salmon. Is this true
or does anyone out there troll with the main engine.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:11:09 -0700, "Larry D Gibbs"
wrote:

I have a 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 which has a 3.0 135 Horsepower Mer
and have been told by my friend that I will need a trolling motor because
the main engine will not go so enough for trolling for Salmon. Is this true
or does anyone out there troll with the main engine.

A kicker will help you slow way down and you can connect it to your
outdrive so you can control it from the steering station.

There are other ways like sea anchors and drag chutes of various
styles if you look in the fishing magazines - there's a couple of
different manufacturers and designs.

However, if you can slow it down to 2 mph and keep your lines deep and
in the strike zone, you shouldn't have a problem or need the extra
equipment.

Later,

Tom

the big engines often idel too fast to troll ... if its a conventional
2 stroke then you dont want to troll with the motor ... 2 stroke DFI
and all 4 strokes take it well ... os its a matter if the speed and
fuel use works for you ....

It can be ad advantage to have a kicker motor anyways and idling the
kiclker to death doesnt hurt as much as it does with the big motor

Matt

Harry.Krause

wrote:

I have a 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 which has a 3.0 135 Horsepower Mer

Sell it. Everybody knows Bilgeliners are junk.
Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323