BoatBanter.com

-   -   Advice needed for leaky engine hatch lift cylinder (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/38542-advice-needed-leaky-engine-hatch-lift-cylinder.html)

Gary May 11th 05 02:27 AM

Advice needed for leaky engine hatch lift cylinder

One of the hydraulic cylinders on my engine hatch lift has developed a leak.
On the end of the cylinder where the shaft comes out, there is a section
that is about an inch and a half long. It APPEARS to screw on and off, but I
have not attempted to remove it yet. The fluid seems to be flowing through
the seam where this end cap screws onto the rest of the cylinder.

Although I have not yet taken it apart, I envision being able to unhook the
hydraulic arm from the hatch, unscrew this end cap from the cylinder and
replace some seals in there.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Gary

1995 Albemarle 320 Express Fisherman

Gary May 11th 05 05:01 PM

Yeah...I've noticed all of the political crap on this newsgroup...on both
sides of the scale. I have my own views too, but I try not to bring them
here. I have friends of all political views and I'm OK with that. In this
newsgroup, there are lots of people that I don't necessarily agree with
politically, but we share one common interest...boating. I try to keep my
posts about boating.

Thanks for the reply about the hydraulic cylinder. I HOPE mine isn't the
same as yours. I'm trying to figure out as much as I can about it, since I
live 4 hours away from my boat. When I go there (about every 3 weeks) I
want to spend my time as wisely as possible, so I do as much troubleshooting
as I can ahead of time. That way I have more time to fish. :-)

wrote:

One of the hydraulic cylinders on my engine hatch lift has developed a

leak.

On the end of the cylinder where the shaft comes out, there is a

section
that is about an inch and a half long. It APPEARS to screw on and off,

but I

have not attempted to remove it yet. The fluid seems to be flowing

through

the seam where this end cap screws onto the rest of the cylinder.

Although I have not yet taken it apart, I envision being able to unhook

the

hydraulic arm from the hatch, unscrew this end cap from the cylinder

and
replace some seals in there.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes.

sorry, but you've been 'smithered'

one of the real asses in this newsgroup, part of the right-wing militia
here, gets his rocks off by using my user name here and one of my email
identities. This particular ass posts from roadrunner, which you can see
in his headers.

as you may have noticed, rec.boats is now plagued with a plethora of
right-wing militia types who are intent on destroying this newsgroup.

I suggest you complain to about this particular faked harry
krause, and enclose the headers from his post.

Have a a nice day.

As to your problem, I suspect you may be disappointed. I tried precisely
what you want to do several years ago, and found the danged hydraulic
ram had no replaceable seals...the manufacturer considered it

"disposable."

Damned annoying.

The Real Harry Krause

Capt John May 11th 05 05:31 PM

Gary,

The unit can probably be repaired, but getting the parts yourself may
be difficult. Your probably better off finding out the name of the
manufacturer and returning it to them, or have it serviced by someone
they reccomend. But get an estimate first, replacing a seal shouldn't
cost much, but......

Capt. John Smith May 11th 05 05:33 PM

Harry has is your driveway coming along? Any new pictures to share?

I would love to see a snapshot of your Lobster Boat and it's "get home
power".

Gary wrote:
Yeah...I've noticed all of the political crap on this newsgroup...on both
sides of the scale. I have my own views too, but I try not to bring them
here. I have friends of all political views and I'm OK with that. In
this
newsgroup, there are lots of people that I don't necessarily agree with
politically, but we share one common interest...boating. I try to keep
my
posts about boating.

Thanks for the reply about the hydraulic cylinder. I HOPE mine isn't the
same as yours. I'm trying to figure out as much as I can about it, since
live 4 hours away from my boat. When I go there (about every 3 weeks) I
want to spend my time as wisely as possible, so I do as much
troubleshooting
as I can ahead of time. That way I have more time to fish. :-)

We have a handful of liberal-moderates here, and about a dozen
right-wingers who react badly when they're ignored, and respond with
literally hundreds of nasty comments that are posted via anonymous
remailers, or with using the names of other posters here, or their family
members, et cetera. My filter file indicates one of these asses posted
about 30 times this morning using my name.

Don White May 11th 05 08:38 PM

Capt. John Smith wrote:
Harry has is your driveway coming along? Any new pictures to share?

I would love to see a snapshot of your Lobster Boat and it's "get home
power".

Now if that doesn't sound like 'Our Skipper'........
Anyone think he's here terrorizing this group and getting his ultimate
revenge?

On the other hand...it could be just another 'cheap imitation'.