Default Was Johnson Seahorse Discontinued? When?

A fellow wants to sell me a Johnson Seahorse that he believes to be a
1991. Didn't OMC discontinue the Seahorse line back in the 80s? Anybody
know?

JimH

"trainfan1" wrote in message
A fellow wants to sell me a Johnson Seahorse that he believes to be a
1991. Didn't OMC discontinue the Seahorse line back in the 80s? Anybody
know?

Seahorse is a mascot. There wasn't really a "Seahorse" line, it just
worked its way into the vernacular.

Rob

Not according to this link:

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repai...or/default.htm

I had a 5.5 hp Seahorse....light green and ran like a champ some 50 years
after it was first manufactured. My daughter tore up the prop several years
back when taking the inflatable through some rocky shallow water. I ended
up selling the outboard, broken prop and all, to an antique outboard
collector for $100.

trainfan1

Clams Canino wrote:

It's like the Mercury "Black Max" V6 stuff. Kinda real....... kinda
nothing.

More like "Kiekhaefer Mercury". There then came a time that gradually
everyone just called them Mercurys or Johnsons.

Our 1972 & 1975 Johnsons have seahorse emblems / caricatures on them,
but nobody ever referred to them as "Seahorses" around here. In fact, I
just pulled out the ownwer's manuals, the 1972 6hp says "Johnson(large
letters) SEA-HORSE(tiny letters)" and the 1975 50hp just says
"Johnson(large letters) Outboards(tiny letters)" I had a 1972 100hp
too, that manual was identical to the 6hp (both the "50th Anniversary
Series") cover except for the model designation.

Evinrude around the same time was phasing out names for the outboards
(Angler, Fisherman, YachTwin, LighTwin, FasTwin, SporTwin, SpeediTwin,
FleeTwin, Lark, Triumph, SpeediFour, StarFlight, and some others I have
forgotten...) in favor of the HP designations.

I can't even recall if new production still has the "SeaHorse" logo...
it was around a long time.

Rob

Chuck Tribolet

What's the model number? It's about seven letters and numbers long, and the
model year is encoded in it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
A fellow wants to sell me a Johnson Seahorse that he believes to be a
1991. Didn't OMC discontinue the Seahorse line back in the 80s? Anybody
know?

FS Johnson Seahorse Outboard motor, 4hp, longshaft, in Olympia, WA. John Gaasland Marketplace 0 May 6th 04 04:02 PM
Remote Controls for Johnson Seahorse? Lloyd Sumpter General 4 January 30th 04 04:26 AM
Help identify which year -Johnson Seahorse Chen Chen General 1 December 3rd 03 05:12 PM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM