Swede

Default what to look for in a used boat

Hello,

This weekend I am going to look at a boat that I potentially am going
to buy...an 89 donzi el pescador......but being a newcomer to boats I
really have no idea of what to look for in a used boat....are there
certain things that I need to pay attention to...things that may
become big problems in the future...etc etc.

Thanks!
Tony Thomas

There are a number of things to look for.
1. Engine
a. Compression
b. Oil (water in it)
c. Running condition
2. Outdrive
a. Oil (water/metal in it)
3. Boat
a. Transom for rot (poke at it w/ an ice pick or something to make
sure no soft spots
b. Floor rot (any soft spots)
c. Seat rot (any soft spots)
d. Wiring (corrosion)
e. Stringers (any rot or chips in/around the engine floor area)

This is just to name a few. Recommend having the boat checked by an
inspector/professional.

Tony

"Swede" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

This weekend I am going to look at a boat that I potentially am going
to buy...an 89 donzi el pescador......but being a newcomer to boats I
really have no idea of what to look for in a used boat....are there
certain things that I need to pay attention to...things that may
become big problems in the future...etc etc.

Thanks!

Calif Bill

Invest the $200 in a marine surveyor to look at the boat and watch what and
how he checks if yu decide it is a boat you would buy. Is money well spent
when looking at an older boat.
Bill

"Swede" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

This weekend I am going to look at a boat that I potentially am going
to buy...an 89 donzi el pescador......but being a newcomer to boats I
really have no idea of what to look for in a used boat....are there
certain things that I need to pay attention to...things that may
become big problems in the future...etc etc.

Thanks!

Joe Blizzard

"Swede" wrote
being a newcomer to boats I really have
no idea of what to look for in a used boat

I didn't either. The story of my boat purchase and subsequent ownership is
he http://members.citynet.net/blizzard/boat/index.htm (I haven't updated
it since autumn. I have lots of stuff to add but need to find some time.)
Please feel free to learn from my mistakes. For example, don't have the
survey done when you're not present, by an unknown friend of the seller, who
might overlook items like checking to see if the engine runs. Also you might
want to avoid taking Alvin Phillips' advice on where to buy trailer tires in
Ripley, WV at night, if that issue should arise.

SeaDoos Grumman-581 General 22 June 16th 10 11:11 PM
Boat looses plane? ReevesJ32 General 4 July 11th 03 12:29 AM
Anyone know what type of boat this is on? Wooduuuward General 1 July 8th 03 06:11 PM
Composite flooring on pontoon boat? Calif Bill General 3 July 1st 03 03:42 AM