RB

Default fuel water separators

I've been searching for fuel-water separators. I have a 115hp engine, so
figure the smaller ones in terms of flow rate will suffice.

However, I'd also like to have a bigger, see through bowl so won't have to
be watching it and draining it as often.

So far, the only ones I've found with bigger bowls are the bigger units with
much higher flow rates than I think I need.

Anyone know of brands/models/sources of units with the smaller flow rates
yet having bigger, see through bowls?

DSK

RB wrote:
I've been searching for fuel-water separators. I have a 115hp engine, so
figure the smaller ones in terms of flow rate will suffice.

However, I'd also like to have a bigger, see through bowl so won't have to
be watching it and draining it as often.

So far, the only ones I've found with bigger bowls are the bigger units with
much higher flow rates than I think I need.

Anyone know of brands/models/sources of units with the smaller flow rates
yet having bigger, see through bowls?

Sure. Depends on what you like. I happen to be familiar with Racor
filter/seperators and recently bought & installed one of the parallel
mounted ones. The rated flow is about 4X what my engine really needs,
but to go any smaller would mean using a spin-on.

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...tbn_specs.html

Here's a similar chart for the spin-on series.

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...spn_specs.html

The reasons I did not want a spin-on filter is because the replacements
are more expensive and more bulky, plus it is impossible to change themn
without making a mess and having to bleed much more air out of the system.

Considering that I was replacing a single filter/seperator that was
rated for about 15X the fuel flow, I'm pretty happy with our new system.

Hope this helps.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Calif Bill

"RB" wrote in message
I've been searching for fuel-water separators. I have a 115hp engine, so
figure the smaller ones in terms of flow rate will suffice.

However, I'd also like to have a bigger, see through bowl so won't have to
be watching it and draining it as often.

So far, the only ones I've found with bigger bowls are the bigger units

with
much higher flow rates than I think I need.

Anyone know of brands/models/sources of units with the smaller flow rates
yet having bigger, see through bowls?

The see through bpwls are not legal in some installations. Maybe Racor's
website has the rules.
Bill

Griss

"Calif Bill" wrote
The see through bpwls are not legal in some installations. Maybe Racor's
website has the rules.
Bill

Good point and advice, Bill. I think it might be that clear bowls are OK
for open installations (e.g. outboard), but you need a metal bowl for
enclosed places (e.g. I/O or inboard). But, again, best to check on that.
Probably any good local boat rigger would know as well.

For what it's worth, I have a Racor with a clear bowl on my 200 hp gas hog
outboard rig. Very happy with it. This is the first time I have a system
that allows draining of the water (vs the other kind that are just
replaceable cannisters, like an oil filter). Once I got into the routine of
DRAINING IT regularly, it has been trouble free and has done it's job
(based on the water I drain - I have built in aluminum tanks and they seem
to condense a lot of water). Before I got into the routine of draining it
regularly (DUH!!), I had an instance of it filling up and causing motor
problems. Stupidity on my part, but hopefully will serve as a warning to
others. I also change the cannister (not the bowl) each spring. Probably
not needed, but what the hey.

I don't know what original poster meant by large vs. small; high flow vs.
low flow. But this Racor rig is pretty much the "standard size" I recon,
and is used for all fuel flows from large to small. It is about the same
size and shape of every water separating filter I've ever used, from my 70
hp OB (6-8 gph) in the 80s, to my 350 CI jet in the 90s (8- 10 gph), to my
large OB jet now (you don't want to know what this baby can suck, but it's
more than 12 gph). The ones with the attached bowl like my current are a
little larger because of the bowl, but the cannister itself is really vey
similar in size.

They're always "about" the size of a standard oil filter. I've personally
never seen anything much different in size from this.

DSK

"Calif Bill" wrote

Griss wrote:
Good point and advice, Bill. I think it might be that clear bowls are OK
for open installations (e.g. outboard), but you need a metal bowl for
enclosed places (e.g. I/O or inboard). But, again, best to check on that.
Probably any good local boat rigger would know as well.

AFAIK the clear plastic bowls alone are not USCG approved, but the ones
with a metal protector underneath are.

http://www.parker.com/racor/tbn_specs.html

The lower half of this web page shows the ones USCG approved for diesel
engine rooms. Guess what, they're more expensive!

fair skies
Doug King

Marc

The rule is that filters require metal bowls in the engine
compartments of vessels that require inspection (vessels for hire). If
you can move the filter out of the engine compartment, it becomes a
non issue. An added benefit of the move ( if you have the space) is
easier access for maintenance. If you are an uninspected vessel (vast
majority of recreational vessels) it is not a CG requirement.

"Calif Bill" wrote

Griss wrote:
Good point and advice, Bill. I think it might be that clear bowls are OK
for open installations (e.g. outboard), but you need a metal bowl for
enclosed places (e.g. I/O or inboard). But, again, best to check on that.
Probably any good local boat rigger would know as well.

AFAIK the clear plastic bowls alone are not USCG approved, but the ones
with a metal protector underneath are.

http://www.parker.com/racor/tbn_specs.html

The lower half of this web page shows the ones USCG approved for diesel
engine rooms. Guess what, they're more expensive!

fair skies
Doug King

Rod McInnis

"Marc" wrote in message
The rule is that filters require metal bowls in the engine
compartments of vessels that require inspection (vessels for hire).

I am not sure what the Coast Guard rules are, but I know that the insurance
companies will reject a gasoline boat that has a glass or plastic bowl. I
had one on a previous boat, and when I had the surveyor come out he made
note of it and the insurance company wouldn't issue me a policy until I got
rid of it.

I understand that glass or plastic is okay on an outboard or a diesel, but
not on a gasoline inboard.

Rod