mydaj [ROR]

Default New (for me) Boat Question

I just bought a new powerboat that was always trailered. I have a slip
and plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the season. I know
the bottom will have to be painted, but I was told it would need to be
sanded first. Is this right? I don't want to have to get the bottom
sanded if I don't have to.
It's a 1994 Bayliner Capri, if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Gary Warner

"mydaj [ROR]" wrote in message
I just bought a new powerboat that was always trailered. I have a slip
and plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the season. I know
the bottom will have to be painted, but I was told it would need to be
sanded first. Is this right? I don't want to have to get the bottom
sanded if I don't have to.
It's a 1994 Bayliner Capri, if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Others here will probably have more information than I, but
let me give it a try...There are two reasons you might need to sand
the hull.

First is if the bottom paint that you want and/or need to
use is incompatible with the existing paint. In this case you have
to sand off all the old paint right down to bare. I suspect that you can
find a bottom paint that works over your old paint.

The other reason to sand is if the current paint is in bad
condition / flaking off. In that case you need to sand off
all of the loose existing paint. This doesn't mean sanding it
all off - just whatever is loose.

Interlux tends to have some good info on their site about all this, I think.

Lawrence James

Some paints will recomend a light sanding if you are painting the original
gelcoat to improve adhesion. See the instructions that come with your
paint.

You know boats 'wear' a whole lot faster in a slip that they do on a
trailer.

"mydaj [ROR]" wrote in message
I just bought a new powerboat that was always trailered. I have a slip
and plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the season. I know
the bottom will have to be painted, but I was told it would need to be
sanded first. Is this right? I don't want to have to get the bottom
sanded if I don't have to.
It's a 1994 Bayliner Capri, if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Tony Thomas

There is more to it than just bottom paint. You have to put a barrior coat
on to seal the fiberglass gelcoat. This is what prevents blisters in the
hull. The bottom paint itself is just to keep the algea from building up.
I highly recommend you rack the boat or leave it on a trailer. Once you
bottom paint - the boat value will depreciate bigtime as not many people
want a boat that has been left in the water in this class. Performance will
decrease also.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"mydaj [ROR]" wrote in message
I just bought a new powerboat that was always trailered. I have a slip
and plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the season. I know
the bottom will have to be painted, but I was told it would need to be
sanded first. Is this right? I don't want to have to get the bottom
sanded if I don't have to.
It's a 1994 Bayliner Capri, if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
I was told it would need to be sanded first. Is this right?

I don't know boat finishes from any other, but just consider that the
paint you put on ANY surface will adhere no better than whatever is
already there. Is there wax on the boat now? Dirt? Embedded sand? Salt?
Plain old crap from the water?

You know the old adage. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
What if a year from now the new finish starts to bubble or peal?

At the very least, clean the living daylights out of the surface you are
going to paint, and follow the instructions on the paint can regarding
priming or re-coating.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:12:22 -0500, "mydaj [ROR]"
wrote:

I just bought a new powerboat that was always trailered. I have a slip
and plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the season. I know
the bottom will have to be painted, but I was told it would need to be
sanded first. Is this right? I don't want to have to get the bottom
sanded if I don't have to.
It's a 1994 Bayliner Capri, if that makes a difference.

A light sanding wtih a very fine wet sand paper (220 or more) to
remove old wax, grime, dirt, etc. There two reasons to sand lightly -
one is to remove the crap like I said. The second is to put a rougher
surface, even if it's a very fine rough, for the pain to adhere to.

It's as Tony said - use a barrier paint first, then bottom paint.
It's a better protection for the hull that way.

Good luck. And hope to hell you don't get tendonitis from all that
sanding. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
mydaj [ROR]

Thanks for all the advice. The bottom has whatever was originally on
it, and is in mint condition. I had one of the best boat guys on Long
Island check it out before I bought, and he gave me the green light. I
was only asking about the sand since I hate to sand such a beautiful
bottom unnecessarily, but I understand what you mean about other paint
jobs that require sanding first. I was told it's a 3 layer process,
one for primer, and 2 for the paint. If anyone knows a good, and
affordable place on Long Island, I'd love to hear about it.
As for trailering it, I don't have the space to keep it out of the
water, and I just got a slip, so I kinda have to keep it in the water.
It's a 94, my first boat, so I don't expect to get much in return when
I upgrade in a few years anyway.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:37:59 -0500, "mydaj [ROR]"
wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. The bottom has whatever was originally on
it, and is in mint condition. I had one of the best boat guys on Long
Island check it out before I bought, and he gave me the green light. I
was only asking about the sand since I hate to sand such a beautiful
bottom unnecessarily, but I understand what you mean about other paint
jobs that require sanding first. I was told it's a 3 layer process,
one for primer, and 2 for the paint. If anyone knows a good, and
affordable place on Long Island, I'd love to hear about it.
As for trailering it, I don't have the space to keep it out of the
water, and I just got a slip, so I kinda have to keep it in the water.
It's a 94, my first boat, so I don't expect to get much in return when
I upgrade in a few years anyway.

Well, consider this - there are various devices to raise the boat out
of the water which would eliminate the need for bottom paint. It
would cost about as much as having somebody paint the bottom of your
boat. I know my marina allows these devices - maybe ths is an option.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

mydaj [ROR]

Well, consider this - there are various devices to raise the boat out
of the water which would eliminate the need for bottom paint. It
would cost about as much as having somebody paint the bottom of your
boat. I know my marina allows these devices - maybe ths is an option.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Do you mean in the slip, like the floating rubber docks, or something
else? Any advise is appreciated.
How much does it cost to have a 19' foot painted for the first time,
approximately??

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:05:45 -0500, "mydaj [ROR]"
wrote:

Well, consider this - there are various devices to raise the boat out
of the water which would eliminate the need for bottom paint. It
would cost about as much as having somebody paint the bottom of your
boat. I know my marina allows these devices - maybe ths is an option.

Do you mean in the slip, like the floating rubber docks, or something
else? Any advise is appreciated.

No - they are lifts - sometimes called Florida Lifts or something like
that.

Some examples:

http://www.boatlift.com/

http://www.boatliftdistributors.com/...roducts_id=402

http://www.shoremaster.com/lifts/standing/main.html

How much does it cost to have a 19' foot painted for the first time,
approximately??

Dunno. My boat is done by the Marina free-of-charge for services
rendered.

If you decide to paint though, see if you can color match the paint to
the hull color. I did that with my Ranger and Contender - it actually
doesn't look bad at all.

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM