calhoun

Default row boat fish finder

Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It was
self contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture. Anyone
seen one of these? do they work?
thanks

del cecchi

"calhoun" wrote in message
Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It

was
self contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture.

Anyone
seen one of these? do they work?
thanks

Check out "Fishing Buddy" by Bottomline

del cecchi

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:40:39 GMT, "calhoun"
wrote:

Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It was
self contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture. Anyone
seen one of these? do they work?

http://tinyurl.com/2h23m

http://tinyurl.com/2knfz

http://tinyurl.com/yptnw

They will put you on fish. They are not as discriminating as a full
boat sonar, but for small boat, shallow water situations, they work
fine.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:40:39 +0000, calhoun wrote:

Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It was self
contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture. Anyone seen one of
these? do they work?
thanks

I made my own (at about 1/2 the price!) by mounting a Pirahna sounder in a
tupperware box. The transducer mounts on the transom with a bolt and butterfly
nut, or on a stick for Vinyl Valerie or other boat that doesn't have a
"permanent" mounting position. I threw my old Garmin GPS II+ in there as well,
and it's all powered by 8 AA rechargable batteries connected to some solar
panels on the top of the box.

Lloyd
Jim

Lloyd,

Is this the project you were working on a year or so ago and were
looking for ni-cads for it? If so, did you go with ni-cads or
ni-mh's?

-Jim

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:40:39 +0000, calhoun wrote:

Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It was self
contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture. Anyone seen one of
these? do they work?
thanks

I made my own (at about 1/2 the price!) by mounting a Pirahna sounder in a
tupperware box. The transducer mounts on the transom with a bolt and butterfly
nut, or on a stick for Vinyl Valerie or other boat that doesn't have a
"permanent" mounting position. I threw my old Garmin GPS II+ in there as well,
and it's all powered by 8 AA rechargable batteries connected to some solar
panels on the top of the box.

Lloyd

Jim

I didn't remember seeing a follow-up so I was wondering about that
project. Are you getting good life with your usage? i.e. will the
combo of solar panels and batteries keep these electronics going a
decent amount of time? Or do you need to let the solar panel charge
the batteries a while before you can turn the electronics on. I
realize we're not talking serious battery usage on those electronics,
but am curious how well this all worked out for you.

-Jim

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Yup - I ended up with NiCads from a specialty battery store. Turned out I could
have used the NiMH's: the solar cells had lots of voltage.

Bill Kiene

Hi Calhoun,

The portable 'Fishing Buddy' fish finders by Bottomline are a wonderful
product.

I was up in British Columbia last June fly fishing some real good lakes for
trout and almost everyone had a Fishing Buddy up there on their float tube,
pontoon boat or small skiff. My friend had one and we ran it all week on one
set of 3 each fresh 'c' cell batteries.

On a skiff with an out board motor you have to lift it up out of the mount
an lay it down in the boat if you are going to go faster than an idle.

Places like Cabelas or maybe Wal-mart are the best places to buy them. They
cost almost the same wholesale to us little shops as we can buy them at
Cabelas so you won't find them much in small shops.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"calhoun" wrote in message

Saw a guy with a fish finder that hung over the side of a row boat. It was
self contained. (no external battery)Didn't catch the manufacture. Anyone
seen one of these? do they work?
thanks

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM