sherwindu

Default Bad deal on boat transport

Recently shipped my sailboat from Florida to Racine Wisconsin using American Boat Transport.
When boat arrived, mast on deck had shifted foward about 2 feet, although it was secured well
in three places. Driver says he noticed shift while driving down the highway. More like he had
to do a panic stop. Everything inside the boat was tossed about. Hanging nets came down, etc.
Only after the driver left Racine did I notice the outboard bracket was cracked, and luckily the
engine did not fall off the boat. American Boat refuses to accept responsibility for this, or pay
for
a new bracket. There are many reputable boat transporters. I just picked a bad one.

Sherwin D.

bb

On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:11:40 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Generally shipping damage must be noted on the BOL to be reimbursed.
Insurance companies often demand this. You did insure your shipment????

I find most shipping damage results from poor prep rather than poor
driving. I always recommend folks not skimp on decommissioning costs.
The few that pinched pennies on decommissioning were the ones who
bitched the most about the condition of the boat on arrival.

bb
sherwindu

The boat was in fact very well prepared for transport. What was I to do with a
100 pound outboard engine, put it in the cockpit or on the deck? If I had put the
engine inside the boat (there was no room anyways for it), or in the cockpit, the
damage would have been a lot worse.
Amazing how people jump to the defense of this poor trucker.
Am I supposed to be grateful that they didn't total my boat. Some of these trucking
companies go under the assumption that you have to expect some damage. I don't
buy that. If I were a large company shipping my 500000 dollar yacht, you can be sure
they would have taken care of any damage. This cowboy trucker was probably
driving too close to the vehicle ahead, or fell asleep at the wheel. They are only supposed
to drive 8 hours a day, but he made the trip in just over 1 1/2 days, as the
only driver. Well, if nobody complains, these companies will continue their bad
practices. Seems like nobody cares, and thank goodness, I don't plan any future
transports.
The trucker has insurance and I am covered also by my yacht policy, but making a claim
for $150 hardly seems worth it. I was not able to see the damage immediately, as the boat
was on the travel lift in the air being just taken off the truck. I was being a nice guy about not

keeping the trucker waiting until the boat could be lowered onto the ground. The driver told
me that if I missed anything, they would take care of it.
I spent three days in Florida preparing the boat for transport, and everything was securely
tied down. If the truck made a panic stop, no amount of securing would have kept everything
in place. The money isn't important, but these people have the nerve to tell me that the boat
was in the same condition at arrival, as when it was picked up. I sent them photographs of the
cracked bracket, but they obviously ignored them. These people have no right to be in business.

Sherwin D.

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Recently shipped my sailboat from Florida to Racine Wisconsin using
American Boat Transport.
When boat arrived, mast on deck had shifted foward about 2 feet, although
it was secured well
in three places. Driver says he noticed shift while driving down the
highway. More like he had
to do a panic stop. Everything inside the boat was tossed about. Hanging
nets came down, etc.
Only after the driver left Racine did I notice the outboard bracket was
cracked, and luckily the
engine did not fall off the boat. American Boat refuses to accept
responsibility for this, or pay
for
a new bracket. There are many reputable boat transporters. I just picked
a bad one.

Sherwin D.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:19:24 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

The boat was in fact very well prepared for transport. What was I to do with a
100 pound outboard engine, put it in the cockpit or on the deck? If I had put the
engine inside the boat (there was no room anyways for it), or in the cockpit, the
damage would have been a lot worse.

No offense, but leaving a 100 lb motor hanging on a bracket with no
support for a trip of that distance is - well, stupid. No other word
for it.

Later,

Tom

Floyd in Tampa

No offense, but leaving a 100 lb motor hanging on a bracket with no
support for a trip of that distance is - well, stupid. No other word
for it.

Another word for it might be.....unfortunate.......
Being a sailor, this guy might not be familiar with all the cracked outboard
brackets that happen when powerboats come back in from offshore and take a
pounding, so he didn't prep for that.
As often as not, I suspect that the bracket cracks are the cumulative result
of metal fatigue, rather than a one-time stress, and an outboard bouncing
along for over a thousand miles might be what pushed the bracket to the
limit. Who knows, it might have been on the verge of cracking when the trip
started.
Unless there is some evidence of the motor being backed into something,
methinks you protest too much.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:35:14 GMT, "Floyd in Tampa"
wrote:

No offense, but leaving a 100 lb motor hanging on a bracket with no
support for a trip of that distance is - well, stupid. No other word
for it.

Another word for it might be.....unfortunate.......

Well, that's being charitable - perhaps I was a little harsh. I've
had my share of "oh sh..." over the years. :)

As often as not, I suspect that the bracket cracks are the cumulative result
of metal fatigue, rather than a one-time stress, and an outboard bouncing
along for over a thousand miles might be what pushed the bracket to the
limit.

~~ snip ~~

Exactly.

Unless there is some evidence of the motor being backed into something,
methinks you protest too much.

Agreed.

Later,

Tom
John H

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:19:24 -0500, sherwindu wrote:

The boat was in fact very well prepared for transport. What was I to do with a
100 pound outboard engine, put it in the cockpit or on the deck? If I had put the
engine inside the boat (there was no room anyways for it), or in the cockpit, the
damage would have been a lot worse.

How about putting it in the trunk of your car?
--
John H

Bert Robbins

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Recently shipped my sailboat from Florida to Racine Wisconsin using
American Boat Transport.
When boat arrived, mast on deck had shifted foward about 2 feet, although
it was secured well
in three places. Driver says he noticed shift while driving down the
highway. More like he had
to do a panic stop. Everything inside the boat was tossed about. Hanging
nets came down, etc.
Only after the driver left Racine did I notice the outboard bracket was
cracked, and luckily the
engine did not fall off the boat. American Boat refuses to accept
responsibility for this, or pay
for
a new bracket. There are many reputable boat transporters. I just picked
a bad one.

If you shipped a sailboat with the outboard still on the bracket then you
really don't have anything to complain about. The violence of sailing is
nowhere near the violence of driving over the road.

Assuming the driver had to do a panic stop, why blame that
automatically on the driver?

It would seem likely that you've never driven anything larger than a
U-Haul van, or you would realize the big, slow, cumbersome loads seem
to attract every nutcase in the world.

That "panic stop" may have been necessary to avoid flattening a Mini
Cooper that pulled into the space immediately in front of the tractor-
and slammed on the brakes. Have you considered that the skill of the
driver may have kept your boat *out* of a devastating
collision, rather than the driver's negligence was somehow responsible
for damage to a boat improperly prepared for transport?

The very fact that items in the boat were strewn about by the transport
demonstrates that the prep was not sufficient. Having to slam on the
brakes once or twice during a cross country is a probable occurence for
which one should plan and prepate.