BoatBanter.com

-   -   Anybody here with a Garmin 276C ? Need help w. connecting to VHF (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/35560-anybody-here-garmin-276c-need-help-w-connecting-vhf.html)

[email protected] May 2nd 05 05:24 AM

Anybody here with a Garmin 276C ? Need help w. connecting to VHF

Guys,

I cant get my 276 to communicate with my ICOM 402 ... it works with my
GPS V but not with my 276 ... tried everyhting ..

Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

William G. Andersen May 2nd 05 06:19 AM

I found out that my radar and radio only receive from my Garmin GPS12 and
eTrex Mariner when the Garmins are set for the slowest BAUD rate in the NMEA
interface.

oups.com...

[email protected] May 2nd 05 06:27 AM

after searching older posts it looks like garmin crippled the nmea
output on the 276 so that it doesnt connect with other NMEA devices ...

Right on Garmin!

Matt

Shortwave Sportfishing May 2nd 05 12:11 PM

On 1 May 2005 22:27:37 -0700, wrote:

after searching older posts it looks like garmin crippled the nmea
output on the 276 so that it doesnt connect with other NMEA devices ...

Right on Garmin!

While I'm not a big Garmin fan, that's not true.

Garmin uses NMEA 0183 via RS232 interface.

Now I will admit, in effect, that might be the same thing, but it's
not hard to make an adapter - it only requires in and out and the
RS232 spec is at the same level as NMEA.

Later,

Tom

Curtis May 2nd 05 04:51 PM

My Garmin 276C hooks up to a Kenwood 2 meter radio to transmit my location,
speed, altitude, etc to the internet where ever I am in the USA. Works
perfectly. That interface the Kenwood 2 way radio does is called APRS.
(Automatic Position Reporting System)

[email protected] May 30th 05 04:59 PM

Update:

It works now. I exchanged the unit and the new one works fine.

Matt