BoatBanter.com

-   -   Minn Kota 12V or 24V (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/35385-minn-kota-12v-24v.html)

[email protected] April 27th 05 09:42 AM

Bill McKee wrote:
"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

If you are going to buy two batteries, connect them in parallel.

Not a good idee.

Why? Hundreds of thousands of batteries are connected in parallel.

Lots of
critical energy systems have them in parallel as well as most large

boats
house banks.

[email protected] April 27th 05 10:07 AM

Thanks anybody for the inputs!

I am hesitating between a boat weighting 440 pounds and a very nice one
weighting around 1000 pounds. Will a 12V 55 lb motor with two batteries
(in parallel?) do the job still as fine?

Shortwave Sportfishing April 27th 05 11:17 AM

On 27 Apr 2005 02:07:48 -0700, wrote:

Thanks anybody for the inputs!

I am hesitating between a boat weighting 440 pounds and a very nice one
weighting around 1000 pounds. Will a 12V 55 lb motor with two batteries
(in parallel?) do the job still as fine?

No problem - in fact the 55 may be a little over kill, but hey - MORE
POWER!!! :)

Good luck.

Later,

Tom

Shortwave Sportfishing April 27th 05 11:17 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:16:53 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

If you are going to buy two batteries, connect them in parallel.

Not a good idee.

Really? Why?

Later,

Tom

SoFarrell April 27th 05 02:27 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks anybody for the inputs!

I am hesitating between a boat weighting 440 pounds and a very nice one
weighting around 1000 pounds. Will a 12V 55 lb motor with two batteries
(in parallel?) do the job still as fine?

I have two 12 volt batts hooked up in parallel for my 12 volt trolling
motor. Works fine, and I get lots of time on the trolling motor. I think my
boat weighs a little more than yours.

harry.krause April 27th 05 05:10 PM

On 26 Apr 2005 08:59:39 -0700, (Markus
Fischer) wrote:

I wonder if anybody can help me on this...

Which type of Minn Kota Transom-Mount should I choose for the
following boat:

440 pounds, 14.5 feets

I am thinking of a Vector or a Maxxum model.

Do I need a 24V or a 12V motor?

Get the 24. It will run with less watts.

Bill McKee April 27th 05 11:32 PM

I have a 3200# boat and a MK 65# autopilot does fine. Even got me back to
the ramp last year when I ran out of gas 2 miles from the ramp. After 3
days and 100+ miles on the lake, you should look at the gas gage before the
last 6 miles.
Bill
;)

Richard J Kinch April 28th 05 02:22 AM

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

Not a good idee.

Really? Why?

Any mismatch is destructive, and eventually, they will mismatch.

Shortwave Sportfishing April 28th 05 12:54 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:22:30 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

Not a good idee.

Really? Why?

Any mismatch is destructive, and eventually, they will mismatch.

Give me some specifics.

Later,

Tom

Tim April 28th 05 06:28 PM

Richard J Kinch Apr 27, 6:22 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: Richard J Kinch - Find messages by this author

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:22:30 -0500
Subject: Minn Kota 12V or 24V
original | Report Abuse

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:
Not a good idee.

Really? Why?

Any mismatch is destructive, and eventually, they will mismatch.

I really don't know what you mean by "destructive"

Two equally good batteries should work fine.

Eventually,one bad battery can, and usually will drain the good one,
but it won't ruin anything that I know of.