DSK

Default ( OT ) Apology to John H

John Gaquin wrote:
Nothing to do with presence or absence of insults.

Why avoid that topic? You personally are not among the worst offenders,
but your team owes a few centuries in the penalty box.

... I was referring to the
practice of cutting and pasting the context -- attaching response B to
statement A to make the speaker appear to have said something entirely
different from what was actually said.

I didn't see that, and can't say what the intent is; but there is a lot
of very careless quoting going on. I don't see any point in trying to
read a post with five or fifteen nested quotes, with a two sentence
reply at the very bottom.

Regards
Doug King

John Gaquin

"DSK" wrote in message news:8iq3c.55650

........I don't see any point in trying to
read a post with five or fifteen nested quotes, with a two sentence
reply at the very bottom.

I agree with you there. These nimrods who post and repost the same messages
over and over 12 times in the course of multiple replies, winding up with
354 lines of requote and header, and three lines of message at the bottom,
do nothing but waste space and aggravate people. The only rationalization
I've heard is that Usenet has always done it that way -- along with bottom
posting, which I think is equally dim. People ought to be able to keep up
with the conversation with only a line or two of salient quote. End rant.

DSK

John Gaquin wrote:
.... These nimrods who post and repost the same messages
over and over 12 times in the course of multiple replies, winding up with
354 lines of requote and header, and three lines of message at the bottom,
do nothing but waste space and aggravate people.

There! Some real "consensus building" in action!!

Now all we have to do is get the nimrods to get their acts together.
Y'think if we lead by example....

DSK

Don White

I agree also. I usually top post to save readers from the same old info I'm
replying to.
Then some whiz will occasionally come back and give me **** for top posting.

Dave Hall

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:19:06 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

I agree also. I usually top post to save readers from the same old info I'm
replying to.
Then some whiz will occasionally come back and give me **** for top posting.

IMHO, top posting is cumbersome for the simple reason that when trying
to respond to several talking points, it's helpful to place your
to, in order to establish the proper context for which to place your
comments.

If you are reading a 500 word post and have only a one sentence
summary to make of the whole passage, then top posting might make
sense. But I rarely do that.

Dave

Harry Krause

wrote:

I agree also. I usually top post to save readers from the same old info I'm
replying to.
Then some whiz will occasionally come back and give me **** for top posting.

IMHO, top posting is cumbersome for the simple reason that when trying
to respond to several talking points, it's helpful to place your
to, in order to establish the proper context for which to place your
comments.

If you are reading a 500 word post and have only a one sentence
summary to make of the whole passage, then top posting might make
sense. But I rarely do that.

Dave

Finally, I agree with Dave: he rarely makes sense.