BoatBanter.com

-   -   Diesel troubleshooting (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3492-diesel-troubleshooting.html)

Henk Overtoom March 21st 04 10:25 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

Mike,
My boat has a simple 6-cil. 32 years old diesel engine without turbo
charging. Last year after replacing the fuel filter and removing the air
from the fuel system I forgot to (re)open the fuel return valve between the
fule pump and the tank. Result: overpressure - to much fuel injected -
smoke.
After a couple of months this was detected, the valve opened and the
situation back to normal. No damage as far as I can notice.
my 2 cents, Henk Overtoom (Netherlands)

Karl Denninger wrote in message ...

In article ,
Mike wrote:
OK, now for my diagnosis;
The smoke and sheen that I see are unburned diesel. The cause is low
turbo pressure not getting enough air into the cylinders. The low
turbo pressure is
Caused by bad oil seals in the turbos allowing crankcase pressure to
be reduced by the vacuum of the turbo compressor. The question of why
would both engines have the same problem comes up. My theory is; when
changing fuel filters, I use starting fluid to get the fuel to start.
The ether (or other chemicals in the starting fluid) has caused the
seal to deteriorate.

Anyone have any feedback? The engines are honey's. They have never
failed in the 10 years we've owned the boat ( 3000hrs). The smoke is
not a killer yet, but I would like to solve the problem before it gets
worse.

Thanking anyone in advance for advice, criticism or observations.

Mike

Pop-test the injectors. My bet is that you have one or more bad ones,

given
that you are seeing unburned fuel on the water.

That is NOT caused by the turbo. Smoke can be, but unburned fuel in the
exhaust at low speed is not turbo related.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights

Activist
http://www.denninger.net Tired of spam at your company? LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk DIVING!

John H March 21st 04 11:10 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"
wrote:

Mike,
My boat has a simple 6-cil. 32 years old diesel engine without turbo
charging. Last year after replacing the fuel filter and removing the air
from the fuel system I forgot to (re)open the fuel return valve between the
fule pump and the tank. Result: overpressure - to much fuel injected -
smoke.
After a couple of months this was detected, the valve opened and the
situation back to normal. No damage as far as I can notice.
my 2 cents, Henk Overtoom (Netherlands)

Hey Henk! Where in the Netherlands are you? We're coming over to visit
some friends this year (not by boat though).

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Henk Overtoom March 22nd 04 08:25 AM

Diesel troubleshooting

John H wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"
wrote:

Mike,

snip...

my 2 cents, Henk Overtoom (Netherlands)

Hey Henk! Where in the Netherlands are you? We're coming over to visit
some friends this year (not by boat though).

Hello John,
I'm living in the NE part of the country, more specifically: N53º08'12''
E06º33'24''
If you want some info about (boating) here, please send me an e-mail.
(remove the 'xyz' in the above adress, I forgot to insert some rubbish in my
adress in the first post, waiting for spam...)
regards, Henk

John H March 22nd 04 12:35 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:25:26 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"
wrote:

John H wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"
wrote:

Mike,

snip...

my 2 cents, Henk Overtoom (Netherlands)

Hey Henk! Where in the Netherlands are you? We're coming over to visit
some friends this year (not by boat though).

Hello John,
I'm living in the NE part of the country, more specifically: N53º08'12''
E06º33'24''
If you want some info about (boating) here, please send me an e-mail.
(remove the 'xyz' in the above adress, I forgot to insert some rubbish in my
adress in the first post, waiting for spam...)
regards, Henk

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

My friend lives about 5km south of Gouda, in Stolwyjk. He is not in to
boating but into motorcycling. Are there places where one can pay to
go fishing in the sea?

xyz March 22nd 04 02:17 PM

Diesel troubleshooting & fishing in NL

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:35:03 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:25:26 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"

snip...

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

My friend lives about 5km south of Gouda, in Stolwyjk. He is not in to
boating but into motorcycling. Are there places where one can pay to
go fishing in the sea?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Stolwijk is quitte near Rotterdam. Fishing in the sea can be done from
several places, in the North Sea and in the so-called "Waddenzee"
which is a shallow sea in the northern part of the country, bordered
by a number of islands. Large parts of this "sea" fall dry at low
tide. Under guidance, one can walk to some of the islands at low tide
(partially ploughing through the mud).
Fishing in the sea here is generally not done using fast fishing craft
like Bertrams, Hatteras, etc. In general, large trawlers (say 20-30
meters long) are used, accomodating 10 to 30 people. Not as thrilling
as shown on Discovery etc. but not expensive either.
Some places where to book for sea fishing: Katwijk, IJmuiden, Den
Helder, Lauwersoog.

Henk

John H March 22nd 04 02:46 PM

Diesel troubleshooting & fishing in NL

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Henk, I'll ask my friend, Adri, to check out some of those
places.

Yes, Stolwijk is very close to Rotterdam and only a bicycle ride from
Gouda. It is a beautiful little place. Very quiet and peaceful.

basskisser March 24th 04 12:03 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

wrote:

John H wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"
wrote:

Mike,

snip...

my 2 cents, Henk Overtoom (Netherlands)

Hey Henk! Where in the Netherlands are you? We're coming over to visit
some friends this year (not by boat though).

Hello John,
I'm living in the NE part of the country, more specifically: N53º08'12''
E06º33'24''
If you want some info about (boating) here, please send me an e-mail.
(remove the 'xyz' in the above adress, I forgot to insert some rubbish in my
adress in the first post, waiting for spam...)
regards, Henk

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

My friend lives about 5km south of Gouda, in Stolwyjk. He is not in to
boating but into motorcycling. Are there places where one can pay to
go fishing in the sea?

John H

I'd think "fishing in the sea" would be free.

Calif Bill March 24th 04 05:54 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

. ..
wrote:

John H wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"

wrote:

Mike,

snip...

[...]

I guess you have never gone fishing.

John H March 24th 04 06:28 PM

Diesel troubleshooting

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:54:47 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
. com...

wrote:

John H wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:25:06 +0100, "Henk Overtoom"

wrote:

Mike,

snip...

[...]

The only time I ever fished for free was when my dad took me!