Harry Krause

Default Towing Specs for Used Trucks?

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:52:39 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

That's an interesting question. I found this years ago when I was
getting my third F-350 diesel. All the othe sites I had archived have
disappeared into the Lost Terrority of Cyberspace.

http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey/ford-towing.html

Minimum would be something in the 250/2500 class, best would be in the
350/3500 class.

I'll keep looking.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I don't tow my Parker far or often, and, at the moment, I am
almost truckless. I do have use for a pickup for the farm and yard and
for the occasional "tow job," but I certainly do not need a new, $40,000
pick-me-up truck.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

What the hell - you only live once and it's only money. :)

Just guessing but a good pickup in that class will run in the vicinity
of 10/13 grand.

If it's only to occasionally tow, look around for an older Ford or
Chevy - one with one of those big block 500+ CUI engines. ;)

One of the best F-350s I've ever owned had the 564 CUI engine in it.
Talk about a gas hog - twin 650 CFM four barrel Holleys and when all
eight carb barrels opened up you could actually watch the gas gage go
down. Ok, slight exaggeration, but still. :)

Talk about tow power - that truck pulled a stump out of the ground in
back of my barn in one shot. And it weren't no small stump either - I
thought I was going to have to borrow a dozer from the farmer down the
road.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Uh, I'm having the basement finished in a house I built last year.

Just guessing but a good pickup in that class will run in the vicinity
of 10/13 grand.

That's what I'm looking for, price-wise. I know of a Cadillac Escalade
pickup truck auction coming up soon. It's a little light in the tow
capacity, but not much, and for reasons I won't go into here, the price
may be right. We'll see.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

UglyDan®©™

Harry,
A Cadillac Escapade?
Why on earth would you want such an ugly truck to tow a beautiful boat
with.
Just make sure you get those 20" rims included so when you pull up to
the ramp with YO-HO....
Never mind UD

Dan Krueger

Union carpenters and materials from a small, union, lumberyard, right?

Harry Krause wrote:

Uh, I'm having the basement finished in a house I built last year.

Here's the site you need...

http://towrating.trailerboats.com/

Dan

Wayne.B

wrote:

That's what I'm looking for, price-wise. I know of a Cadillac Escalade
pickup truck auction coming up soon. It's a little light in the tow
capacity, but not much, and for reasons I won't go into here, the price
may be right. We'll see.

========================

What happened to the Tundra?
K. Smith

wrote:

[...]

You don't own the Parker you liar & it seems now your latest lie will
be a farm!!!

More lefty lies this is the type of person you will get running around
all over the US, always in the background, if anyone is silly enough to
vote democrat!!! It's true they're a bunch of simpleton liars & given
911 can you really put yourself?? your family? or the rest of us in the
free world at risk?? what??? so they can start doling out kickbacks to
the unions again??? so they can be appeasers so the terrorists think
they can get away with it again?? Under W they've had their arses kicked
& now the other despots are knocking on your door to surrender (Iran,Nth
Korea, Libya,etc etc). Come on these are serious times & you need to
keep your proper leader in place to finish the great job he's done so
far, they'll be time enough for brainless lefty idiots next time round.

You have to be the biggest BS the internet has.

Just as your "other" fantasy boat the 36ft lobster boat?? Since I've
been here you fabricate a new lie boat every year; so you can pretend
you're wealthy & a boat owner both of which you're not!! You're a lying
grub who works in the PR dept of a union rip off insurance Co too sad. I
suspect they're both boats owned by the charter skippers or union rip
off execs, your usual MO is to worm your way into their good graces so
you can hang around & post info as if the boats are actually yours (the
real lobster boat owner woke up to in a flash!!! you ran out of any info
much less any plausible info, just after launch:-)), but to any actual
owner of bigger boats, not enough to be the real owner, never.

Here's a touch of your lobster boat lies, gee you seem to have forgotten
all about that since you got people to believe the latest Parker lie,
but it's still a lie:-)

the new boat.
On the 36-footer, 16,000 pounds displacement:
QSM11 635 hp, 36.3 mph WOT, 32.1 mph at sustained cruise, marine
gear ratio of 1.77, turning a four blade 26x35 prop on a 2.50 inch
Aquamet 22 shaft. Too much engine.
QSM11 535 hp at 2300 rpm, 33.3 mph WOT, 29.5 mph at sustained
cruise of 2100 rpm, same gear ratio, 24x34 prop. Right on the money.
6CTA8.3 450 hp, 30.6 mph WOT, 27.5 mph at sustained cruise, 2.00:1
gear ratio, 24x31 four blade prop on Aquamet 22 2" shaft.
Cummins tells me its program is "about 8% too conservative."
Looks like the QSM11 535 will be the right engine. Its fuel use is
only a little more than the 450's and a lot less than the 635 hp engine.
What I want is a 30mph sustained cruise speed, and 535 hp will do it.
Cummins also figured the boat at 1000 pounds heavier than our target,
which is probably the smart thing to do.
Besides, the QSM is a new, all computerized design.

Then of course the usual Harry BS lies & boasts of how he & the purpose
commissioned naval architect got it all correct e.g.

The hull form is what got to me. The boat has a substantial keel
and it is a built-down keel, right to its bottom, not just "tacked" on.
It backs down beautifully. And it seems to roll one heck of a lot less
in a beam sea than the semi-vee 36 footers I've been on, and especially
some large deep vee fishing boats of about the same size its been my
pleasure to fish aboard. I believe it is a function of the keel and the
really low center of gravity.
Amazing, for a boat that is round bilged and fairly flat under the
transom. No chines. Just splash rails forward and aft. A soft, soft
ride...which is what I wanted.