Jim

Default ( OT ) Jobless rate at 20-year high

Jobless rate at 20-year high

Area health and education gains fail to offset manufacturing losses.

By Michael Wentzel
Staff Writer

(March 4, 2004) — More area residents were out of work in January than
at any time in the last 20 years.

The unemployment rate in the six-county Rochester area jumped to 7
percent, representing about 39,600 people looking for work, according to
statistics released Wednesday by the state Department of Labor.

In January 1984, the unemployment rate was 8.5 percent and 41,800 people
were unemployed.

“These numbers are part of the continuing loss of manufacturing jobs,”
said Tammi Marino, a department economist.

Since January 2003, the number of manufacturing jobs in the Rochester
area fell to 78,300, a decline of 9,300 or more than 10 percent,
according to state estimates.

The area has lost almost 5,000 manufacturing jobs since December alone.

Kent D. Gardner, director of economic analysis with the Center for
Governmental Research, called January “not a good month at all.”

“But I’m confident the unemployment rate is a statistical anomaly and
we’ll see it come back down in February to the same range it’s been,”
Gardner said.

The unemployment rate in the Rochester area in January was up from 5.7
percent in December and 6.5 percent in January 2003. The number of
people unemployed was 32,700 in December and 37,300 in January 2003.

The area’s strongest job- growth sector since January 2003 was
educational and health services with 100,100 jobs, an increase of 4,000
in one year but down 400 from December 2003.

Marino said the statistics indicate a “bottoming-out” in job losses in
telecommunications and trade and suggest that improvement should occur
later in the year.

The state estimates the area had 5,700 telecommunications jobs in
January, down 5 percent in a year. About 60,300 had retail trade jobs,
down almost 3,000 since December but equal to January 2003. Finance and
insurance jobs increased 4.8 percent to 15,200 in a year.

The Rochester metropolitan area covers Monroe, Genesee, Livingston,
Ontario, Orleans and Wayne counties.

The unemployment rate for the state was 7.2 percent, up from 6.2 percent
in December and 7 percent in January 2003.

NOYB

Default ...in Rochester NY due to the Kodak plant closings

You guys are pathetic and predictable. Your "the-sky-is-falling" reports on
jobs always precede the Bureau of Labor Statistics *actual* employment
numbers by one or two days. I guess you can call it a preemptive
strike...'cause you know that tomorrow's report ain't gonna be good for the
Democratic candidate...and will be *VERY GOOD* for Bush's reelection
chances. I predict another 0.2 drop in the Unemployment rate.

Prediction: 5.4% unemployment rate.

John H

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:15:50 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

You guys are pathetic and predictable. Your "the-sky-is-falling" reports on
jobs always precede the Bureau of Labor Statistics *actual* employment
numbers by one or two days. I guess you can call it a preemptive
strike...'cause you know that tomorrow's report ain't gonna be good for the
Democratic candidate...and will be *VERY GOOD* for Bush's reelection
chances. I predict another 0.2 drop in the Unemployment rate.

Prediction: 5.4% unemployment rate.

Good morning, Florida!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:23:26 -0500 (EST), "Harry Krause"
wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

Perhaps your local Chamber of Commerce should retain our buddy, Noyby,
to fly up and give a pep talk to the unemployed, and to let them know
how much Bush has done to help them find new jobs that pay enough to
support their families.

After all, flipping burgers is manufacturing, according to the
Bush-****ters, and they also believe sending American jobs to India
helps working Americans.

Harry, if you search hard enough you should be able to find an area
with 100% unemployment. Then you could post that and everyone would
vote for your choice of candidates because you are always correct.

In my house, the unemployment rate is 50%. That excludes part-time
employment, of course.

Using that statistic as a starting point, you should have no trouble
finding a totally unemployed area. Try certain sections of northeast
D.C.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:53:36 -0500 (EST), "Harry Krause"
wrote:

NOYB wrote:

You guys are pathetic and predictable. Your "the-sky-is-falling"

reports on
jobs always precede the Bureau of Labor Statistics *actual* employment
numbers by one or two days. I guess you can call it a preemptive
strike...'cause you know that tomorrow's report ain't gonna be good

for the
Democratic candidate...and will be *VERY GOOD* for Bush's reelection
chances. I predict another 0.2 drop in the Unemployment rate.

Prediction: 5.4% unemployment rate.

An unemployment rate that falls because unemployed workers are running
out of benefits?

An unemployment rate that falls because long-out-of-work workers are
forced to take crappy jobs that pay a third of the good jobs that were
lost while Bush was standing watch?

Here's an interesting stat, possibly related to the failed Bush economy:

Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey conducted by
Princeton Survey Research Associates. Feb. 24-29, 2004. N=1,000 adults
nationwide. MoE ± 3.5.

"Now thinking about our country, overall, are you satisfied or
dissatisfied with the way things are going in our country today?" Trend
includes slight variation in question wording.

Satisfied Dissatisfied No Opinion
% % %
2/24-29//04 39 55 6

12/19/03 - 1/4/04 45 48 7

12/15-17/03 44 47 9

Oh, and let's not forget to factor in that a growing number of Americans
now feel that Bush lies - about things that are important.

Notice that ratings have gone down with the onslaught TV coverage of
the Democrat primary coverage. What you are seeing here is a
reflection of the satisfaction of television content. Now that other
things can occupy the news, these numbers will get better.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

basskisser

wrote:

NOYB wrote:

[...]

I hope they DO get better. I certainly don't want it to be a close
race, it would be too risky, and Bush may win.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

You guys are pathetic and predictable. Your "the-sky-is-falling" reports on
jobs always precede the Bureau of Labor Statistics *actual* employment
numbers by one or two days. I guess you can call it a preemptive
strike...'cause you know that tomorrow's report ain't gonna be good for the
Democratic candidate...and will be *VERY GOOD* for Bush's reelection
chances. I predict another 0.2 drop in the Unemployment rate.

Prediction: 5.4% unemployment rate.

Prediction, little or no change in the unemployment rate and the
addition of some low-paying jobs most beloved by Republicans.
Charles

wrote:

The unemployment rate in the six-county Rochester area jumped to 7
percent, representing about 39,600 people looking for work, according to
statistics released Wednesday by the state Department of Labor.

Gee, Rochester is a one industry town. Kodak was slow to respond and is
going down the ****ter.
I'm surprised the rate isn't 40% there.

Precisely. I have a friend who works for Fuji and he says Kodak did not
think digital photography would have the impact it has, and did not
aggressively pursue it.

You can't blame Bush for poor corporate decisions. Kodak missed the boat
and has let its competition pass it by.

-- Charlie
Harry Krause

wrote:

The unemployment rate in the six-county Rochester area jumped to 7
percent, representing about 39,600 people looking for work, according to
statistics released Wednesday by the state Department of Labor.

Gee, Rochester is a one industry town. Kodak was slow to respond and is
going down the ****ter.
I'm surprised the rate isn't 40% there.

So...I suppose we jsut dispose of everyone unfortunate enough to be
stuck there?