Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
NOYB

Default OT-And Canadian's bag on *our* healthcare system!?!

From the Toronto Star:

Feb. 25, 2004. 01:00 AM

Premiers fear collapse of health-care system

CAROLINE MALLAN AND DANIEL GIRARD
STAFF REPORTERS

VANCOUVER-Canada's premiers say the health-care system will begin to
self-destruct by the end of the decade without both an overhaul and a cash
influx from the federal Liberals.

At the end of the inaugural meeting of the Council of the Federation,
the premiers demanded that Prime Minister Paul Martin increase base
transfers to the provinces for health care by $2 billion in the March 23
federal budget.

They accuse the federal government of purposely understating the size
of the surplus and short-changing the health-care purse year after year.

Alberta Premier Ralph Klein said his recent musings about possibly
pulling his province out of the Canada Health Act, de-listing some services
and forgoing federal funding has not reached the point of serious
discussion.

The Premiers agreed that Ontario and British Columbia will come up
with a series of research papers in advance of their next meeting in July.

The two provinces will present their findings on what is driving up
the cost of health care and what long-term funding is needed.

The two provinces will also look at better ways to provide health care
in remote communities.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said in an interview that he worries
that other initiatives, such as a literacy program, an agreement to break
down inter-provincial barriers and plans to work together on emergency
preparedness will go unnoticed in the seemingly never-ending health-care
fray.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1077664212935

No wonder I've been seeing so many Canadians in my practice lately.

Attached Images
File Type: gif spacer_487.gif (59 Bytes, 41 views)