Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Popular Seattle Area Cruising Destination........

Edmonds Says, "Welcome Ashore!"

Most everybody who has been boating for any period of time (in the
Pacific NW) has visited the Port of Edmonds. Jan and I have a
traditional cruise we call "Dinner and a Movie." Once or twice a
year we will notice a good film playing at the Edmonds Theater and
elect to make the one-hour trawler cruise from Shilshole to Edmonds
rather than drive up by car. We have found several good to extremely
good restaurants within a short walk of the movie house, all within a
ten or fifteen minute hike from the guest moorage at Edmonds Marina.
Dinner, a movie, perhaps an adult beverage or two after the show and
all the comforts of "Indulgence" only a short stroll away.
Sometimes the simplest pleasures are the best.

Edmonds Marina has earned a favorable reputation among local boaters.
The staff is friendly and the facilities are thoroughly clean and well
maintained. I stopped by the Port of Edmonds booth at the Seattle Boat
Show last winter and learned that this popular destination has recast
itself as newly improved for 2005. On a sunny weekend in February, Jan
and I ventured north to see for ourselves.

Pre-spring cruising can be absolutely wonderful in the northwest.
Boaters who never get off the dock before mid April or early may have
already missed one of the most magical times in the boating calendar.
Our cruise to Edmonds was through moderate cerulean and cobalt crests,
masked by black and fired by silver. The sun, still low in the southern
sky, flowed through our pilothouse windows and struck color chords in
the varnished teak.
Gulls swooped and dived onto herring or candlefish, while our boat
proved steadfast in her course. On such a day, even the petroleum tank
farm at Pt. Wells, (just south of Edmonds) appeared pristinely
conceived and immaculately maintained. Only a few boats within a 3-mile
radius were sharing the beauty of this enchanting afternoon, and
more's the pity.

The entrance to the Edmonds Marina is near 47.48.76N and 122.23.58W.
The Edmonds-Kingston ferry dock is immediately north of the marina. All
boaters, and most especially those arriving from the north, must be
mindful of ferry traffic in the vicinity. Loaded ferries can depart the
dock and be hundreds of yards offshore very rapidly, so it is our
customary practice to give a wide berth when crossing the expected
route of a docked ferryboat. After clearing the outer breakwater,
transient boaters should turn to starboard. The fuel dock, a bait shop,
and the guest docks come up quickly on the port side. The Edmonds Yacht
Club reserves some float space for boaters from reciprocating clubs.
Early on a weekend afternoon in cherry blossom season we had most of
the guest moorage available for our selection. Edmonds does not accept
reservations, (except for yacht clubs or other groups), and space can
be tight in the summer. We have had good luck contacting the marina
office by cell phone in previous summers, and while the staff won't
reserve a space they have always seemed happy to report whether much
room remains at that particular moment.

If the floats and sheds at Edmonds appear to be almost new, that would
be because they are. A 100-year snow load sank most of the covered
floats in 1996, damaging or destroying scores of boats in the process.
The rebuilt facility incorporated a more modern design and top caliber
materials. There are any number of locales loaded with a funky, rustic,
rough and tumble ambience replete with fishboats and creosote, but
boaters coming to Edmonds expecting a modern, classy operation and
friendly staff will be well satisfied.

We made a lazy U-turn between two vacant floats and landed with our
starboard side to K dock. With our bow facing the fairway, our spot at
the outer end of the dock assured an easy departure regardless of how
the wind might change or if other vessels arrived during our visit. (We
always try to dock with an "exit strategy").

We secured "Indulgence" in her temporary berth and proceeded to the
Port Office to check in. The first four hours at Edmonds are free of
charge, so if one isn't staying overnight there is still plenty of
time for dinner and a movie, or a leisurely browse through the
emporiums of downtown Edmonds.

When we arrived at the moorage office, we discovered exactly why the
Port of Edmonds is promoting a new, even friendlier than ever reception
for visiting boaters. The Port presents every transient arrival with a
canvas tote bag, courtesy of the Port of Edmonds and The Edmonds
Journal newspaper. The bag is stuffed with useful items, including a
pamphlet outlining the history of the Port of Edmonds, a Marina
Regulation handbook, a writing tablet, a Port of Edmonds pen, a key
float, a map of downtown, several brochures about public art displays
and festival events, a copy of the Journal, and more. While the
trinkets are nice, the offer of a ride to the heart of downtown in the
Port of Edmonds van (9AM to 5PM except major holidays) will be
appreciated by visitors who might otherwise be put off by the roughly
half-mile walk to the heart of downtown.

Among the trinkets and treasures in the canvas tote bag is a blue
booklet titled, "Destination: Port of Edmonds". Much of the rest of
the material could be saved for reading at a later date, but visitors
are well advised to check out the "Destination" book right away.
Thirty-six coupons are included, and few boaters will visit Edmonds
without spending some money in at least one of the establishments
offering various discounts.
The coupons invite the bearer to save 10% on all purchases in the Old
Milltown Mall, (don't miss this, it's the Pike Place Market's
country cousin). Provinces Asian restaurant and Bar offers 20% the
total dining and beverage bill. Arnies Restaurant, on the waterfront
not far from the marina, offers $10 toward any lunch, brunch, or dinner
item with the purchase of a second item at full price. Other offers
include savings at bakeries, wine cellars, pubs, coffee shops, and
houseware shops. If nothing else is sufficiently tempting, any boater
can save $10 on a purchase of $30 or more at the Edmonds West Marine.
(Who among us can pass a marine supply store without spending at least
$30?)
The booklet includes a "credit card" that will be activated by the
Port staff when a boater pays for moorage and will be needed to take
advantage of some of the savings opportunities in the booklet.

On our last visit to Edmonds we walked up to town. We passed
Anthony's Restaurant, the Beach Cafe, and Arnies either immediately
at or within a block or so of he marina complex. We followed a broad
sidewalk along the railroad tracks, passing in front of the active
Edmonds railroad depot, and eventually turned right up Main Street. Jan
browsed through a number of antique and novelty stores, while I enjoyed
a sunny afternoon and general sidewalk pleasures of a traditional
American small town shopping district. We noted just a few commercial
vacancies, but more than we had observed on previous visits. Edmonds
may be timely as well as wise when looking to visiting boaters as a
source of revenue for downtown merchants.

We never visit Edmonds without a stroll through the Old Milltown Mall
up on 5th Ave. South. The spectacular old building was originally
constructed as a combination bus barn and automobile dealership, back
in the 1930's. The building is now carved up into antique parlors,
"new age" knick-knack shops, specialty restaurants, and clothing
consignment stores. It is a universe of sloping planked floors, open
beamed ceilings, ornate stairways, and leaded glass facades. There are
two displays of old photos and artifacts, recounting the history of the
building itself and downtown Edmonds in general.
I have an incurable case of "guyitis". Shopping is nearly always
boring, (except when picking out new tools, boating accessories,
computer software, or other extremely important items, of course). The
Old Milltown Mall is a location where I can enjoy the old time
atmosphere and architectural adaptations while Jan pokes through the
shops to select all those items we really, truly, and absolutely need.
She investigates fancy stemware from the 20's, while I consider a
horse drawn water cart displayed in one of the hallways.

On "dinner and a movie" cruises, we enjoy viewing films at the
Edmonds Theater. We skipped the movie this last time, (having seen it
in Seattle a few months earlier), but a visit to the Edmonds Theater is
a journey back in time to the single screen, Main Street small town
movie emporiums of the 1940's and 50's. Admission is affordable,
popcorn is reasonably priced, and the authentic cinematic atmosphere is
irreplaceable. We can recommend the Edmonds Theater.

The memorable highlight of our spring cruise to Edmonds was most
certainly our brunch at Sahib's Indian Restaurant. Sahib's is
located at the foot of Main Street, very nearby the head of the ferry
ramp. Jan is normally reluctant to dine at Indian restaurants; (she
dislikes food that has been highly spiced). When Jan's first
restaurant choice closed at 1PM on Sunday afternoon and Sahib's was
still serving brunch I persuaded her to give the Indian food a try. It
was our first visit to Sahib's, and we were impressed.

Brunch at Sahib's included beverages, (choice of Mimosas, coffee, or
tea), and a fabulous Indian buffet. We sampled potato cakes, a wide
variety of rice and vegetable dishes, and several interesting
preparations revolving around chicken and lamb. Every dish was
distinctly different than the others, but all were truly delectable.
Jan's suspicious glance at her initial plateful quickly gave way to a
delighted smile as she returned to the buffet for another spoonful of
this, or an additional taste of that. We enjoyed a basket of hot Indian
flatbread and excellent service. Now that we are sure that Sahib's is
not too spicy for Jan's palate, we will be looking forward to
sampling a full dinner at the restaurant on our next cruise to Edmonds.
That may prove to be even sooner this year than it has in the past-
we've still got a booklet full of coupons to use!