BoatBanter.com

-   -   boat thieves back in busiess insurance results (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3087-boat-thieves-back-busiess-insurance-results.html)

Capt Frank Hopkins February 6th 04 06:13 PM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

Hi All,
After a throughly incompetent investigation by the local constabulary, I
took the list of missing items to the insurance comapny. Here are the
results:

Generator: 2 years old, depreciated 60% Cost 1900.00
Paid 900.00
GPS 18 Months Old. depreciated 12% Cost 799.00
703.12
GPS Cartographic chip not covered Cost 125.00
Fishing Poles not covered Cost 90.00
Binox depreciated %75 Cost 299.00
99.60
tools not covered Cost
159.00
Magnagrille not covered Cost 179.00
Magnagrille mount not covered Cost 45.00
TV-DVD player Depreciated 75% Cost 399.00
99.75

Total Loss
3995.00 Insurance Payment 1802.47

Net Loss 2192.53

Moral, Check your insurance policy to determine what is covered and what is
not!

John Gaquin February 6th 04 09:01 PM

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message

Net Loss 2192.53

Moral, Check your insurance policy to determine what is covered and what

is
not!

Just ensure that your policy is for replacement cost rather than ACV.

Del Cecchi February 6th 04 10:03 PM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Check your homeowner's insurance. It might cover stuff like tools and
fishing poles. That is often the case.
And why did they cover the GPS but not the chip in it?

Shows that the additional cost of "replacement cost" coverage might be
justified. And when you find out where I can buy one of those 2 year old
generators for 40% of new, drop me a line. Sounds like my price range

del

John Gaquin February 6th 04 10:26 PM

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

Check your homeowner's insurance. It might cover stuff like tools and
fishing poles.

The interpretation I've received is that HO should cover any ancillary item
on the boat that is not normally or exclusively considered a marine item, or
something you might likely carry back and forth with you. HO would not
cover a 12V coffeemaker, but would probably cover a 120V unit. That sort of
thing.

Paul Schilter February 6th 04 10:27 PM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

Capt.
Which company are you insured with?
Paul

Rick Curtis February 7th 04 02:13 AM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

Captain,

Check this out: www.voicealarm.com See Alarm FAQs page re Boat Insurance.

Rick Curtis

Charles T. Low February 7th 04 02:44 AM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

Double-check your policy, and then argue. Threaten to involve your lawyer -
for a hundred bucks, he/she may even write a short preliminary letter.

Insurance companies are bullies, they always try not to pay, but often back
down quite easily if pushed - not always on the first push. Too many people
complain that "they didn't pay," but take it no further, in which case the
insurer wins. Need not be so.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

John Gaquin February 7th 04 05:36 AM

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message

.....Threaten to involve your lawyer -
for a hundred bucks, he/she may even write a short preliminary letter.

Insurance companies are bullies, they always try not to pay, but often

back
down quite easily if pushed -

Charles, I'm sure there are some cases that play out as you describe. On
the other hand, all the lawyers in the world won't make an insurer pay for a
non-covered loss. It is the responsibility of the insured to read the
policy, and to know what is and isn't covered.

Capt Frank Hopkins February 7th 04 01:07 PM

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi All,
[snip]

I did check with homeowner's policy. Because the boat is listed as a "second
home" on the taxes, the primary policy does not cover theft losses. A rather
sneaky catch 22. The chip is not covered because the adjuster chose not to
cover it. No amount of arguing could get her to change her mind. I was under
the impresssion that all the boat's equipment was 100% covered. It turns
out, only the actual boat and manufacturer installed equipment is 100%
covered. Owner installed "accessories" are covered at a pro-rata amount. The
insuranace company gets to determine the discount.

I did contact my attorney, who said that there is a claim there, but by the
time I pay his fees, court costs, and the 5 years it will take to chase the
claim through the courts, It will cost me more then the loss I could
recover.

I am looking for a new insurance company. The good hands developed stickey
fingers.

C.F.

Capt Frank Hopkins February 7th 04 01:10 PM

boat thieves back in busiess insurance results

Let me say this to ALL. I would rather not STATE the name in case I decide
to take the issue to court.

CF