Wayne.B

Default how much will it safely tow if you're only going up the ramp?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:29:59 -0500, "RudyV"
wrote:
at the risk of starting another "how much will my geo metro tow" exchange, i
have a related question.
i am considering buying a 25' cuddy on a trailer; total weight will be about
8000 lb for boat, motor, trailer, fuel, water, etc. i would like to store
it on the trailer at the marina and then tow the boat from the parking slot
to the ramp and back. total distance traveled per use would only be about
100 yards. my tow vehicle is a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/4 wheel drive and a
max towed capacity of 6500 lb. does anybody have any experience/guidance on
whether the jeep could safely launch and retrieve this boat? with a
boat/trailer combo heavier than the tow vehicle, could the boat drag the
Jeep into the water if the ramp was slippery?
thanks in advance.

In theory you could be pulled down a slippery ramp by a boat/trailer
lighter than you tow vehicle. In practice it doesn't happen all that
often. Boat/trailer combos heavier than the tow vehicle are fairly
common even with large pickup trucks and SUVs.

None of that answers your question of course, and Jeep is never going
to recommend it, but you'll probably be OK if you use low 4WD going up
the ramp, and use wheel chocks when you're stopped.

Steve Barker

You should be able to to this safely, especially if you utilize the low
range in your 4wd. We usually do that anyway just to not stress the
automatic transmissions so much.

--
Steve
"RudyV" wrote in message
[...]

Ðon ßailey

"RudyV" wrote in message
[...]

I used to tow an 8000lb boat/trailer to and from the ramp (a few blocks)
with a chevy blazer. I think the blazer's MAX tow cap. was about 5200lbs.

Never went over 15mph.

No problem.

Stopping on a gravel road sometimes invoked the ALB's though.

db