John

Default Boat News Groups

Are there any news groups around that discuss boats and boating?????

John H

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:51:51 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Are there any news groups around that discuss boats and boating?????

You're in one. If you have a question, or boating related comment,
post it. You'll get responses pertinent to your question or comment.

What kind of boat do you have? How do you use it? Do you fish? Where?
With what? How long can I go without replacing the exhaust manifolds
and risers on my Mercruiser 5.7L?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Wayne.B

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:59:02 -0500, John H
wrote:

How long can I go without replacing the exhaust manifolds
and risers on my Mercruiser 5.7L?

====================================

Not as long as you'd like :-)

Next.........

Wayne.B

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:15:48 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:
More insidious are those posters that sway threads away from their
originators intent and post here not for any love of boating, but to
serve some sort of self gratification through the vandalism of other
poster's interest... especially if it can be done in the guise of good
political guys vs. bad political guys.

==================================

And it is these guys from the insert name here political party,
that will not only be the ruin of this newsgroup, but the country, the
working class, the middle class, the wealthy, and the rest of the free
world as we know it.

John H

wrote:

How long can I go without replacing the exhaust manifolds
and risers on my Mercruiser 5.7L?

====================================

Not as long as you'd like :-)

Next.........

Wayne, that's not what I'm wanting to hear. I'm hoping for something
like, "You're good for at least ten years or 750 hours, whichever
comes first."

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Lloyd Sumpter

wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:59:02 -0500, John H wrote:

How long can I go without replacing the exhaust manifolds and risers on my
Mercruiser 5.7L?

====================================

Not as long as you'd like :-)

Well, I'm just replacing the riser on my Universal Diesel after about 10 years.
It's still good, but I'm replacing the engine, and the old one doesn't fit
The manifold is also fine (just had it checked and de-rusted a few years ago),
but it's being replaced along with the rest of the engine.

Donno why gas engines seem to go through manifolds and risers so much faster
than diesels...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - New Engine sitting on galley sole while stringers are
being modified...

Capt. Frank Hopkins

That's pretty simple Lloyd,
Gas engines rev higher RPMs, and gasoline burns hotter then diesel. It
also has some unpleasent additives which affect metals. Just look at the
tailpipe of an old Buick.
--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

wrote:

[...]

Paul Schilter

Gene,
Nicely stated.
Paul

wrote:

Are there any news groups around that discuss boats and boating?????

John,

Rec.boats actually does, but only if you filter through the garbage.
There are some very knowledgeable and experienced people here that can
help with most any subject.

There are also those here that have a political agenda that they feel
they must share with everybody. Generally, they fall into two groups.
Many of those posting political opinion have the decency to preface
their remarks with "OT," or at least the thread is clearly
identifiable as not related to boating.

More insidious are those posters that sway threads away from their
originators intent and post here not for any love of boating, but to
serve some sort of self gratification through the vandalism of other
poster's interest... especially if it can be done in the guise of good
political guys vs. bad political guys.

I make these comments to point out that there are commonalities in
these posts(posters) and that they can, therefore, be filtered. If you
wish to enjoy newsgroups (and this one is a good example) that have a
relatively low signal to noise ratio, you are either going to spend
quite a bit of time manually sorting through the OT for the On
Topic.... really no fun and I suggest you invest in newsreader
software that will automate the task. My personal recommendation will
be Agent 2.0, when it is commercially available.

To offer my own experience.... I have been toying with a few filters
that remove certain posters entirely (that *never* seem to post on
topic) and to monitor others that have very constructive information,
but are given to OT posting, as well.... thus, not removing them
completely, but throwing away their posts that I'd just as soon not
see.... Analyzing the group dynamics of rec.boats has left me fairly
amazed at how few posters have created most of the vandalism and bad
feelings, but has given me insight into how few rules are necessary to
bring the signal to noise ratio back to an acceptable level.

Hang in there, John.... a few of the appropriate tool and even
rec.boats can be an apolitical resource for the few of us left that
actually own a boat and use it.....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats

Shameless Commercial Plug for Lee's Rec.Boats Clothing

Dave Hall

wrote:
How long can I go without replacing the exhaust manifolds
and risers on my Mercruiser 5.7L?

John H

That depends on whether you use them in fresh or salt water. In fresh
water, you can get by for several years. In salt water, they claim
every 2 years or so, they should at least be checked and/or
cleaned/replaced.

Dave
Florida Keyz

my rule of thumb was (years ago) every two years replace the risers.

One way you could tell they were going is the oil in the valves was whiteish,
from water,while the oil in the pan was still dark.

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM