JimH

"Mule" wrote in message
oups.com...
Krause wrote:
The name of the boat is not "You Ho," it is "Yo Ho," and
the name incorporates a graphic of a pirate.

So you are saying that pirates are ho's. As a part time pirate I am
very offended by this statement!

Chris

I agree. But I think he is saying it is a depiction pirate soliciting a
prostitute, as in "YO.....Ho!". I wonder if the pirate has a woody?

Regardless, what a stupid thing to put on a boat.

ROFLMAO, that last thing that is is racist.

It was using street expressions used by whites, blacks, browns, yellows
and
purples.

It appears that HaKrause is a racist.

**************

Depends on context and intent.

Example: Two African American teenagers meet on the street and one
greets the other with, "What's up, ******?" They'll laugh and joke and
go on their respective ways.....

I (older white guy) meet either one of the same two teenagers on the
street and say,
"What's up, ******?" and all hell is likely to break loose.

To take the position that anybody should be able to say anything about
a group that certain members of that group say about themselves and
that doing so is not racist would be like stating that because you have
sex with your wife I should be free to do so as well.

Some of that trash talk is culturally proprietary. Blacks use the word
"******" with one another, IMO, because it was a reasonably effective
way to take the sting out of a word that has always meant, "inferior,
subhuman, ignorant slave". IMO, the use of this word between two blacks
is an attempt to change its meaning over a period of time to "brother
of common heritage." (This is somewhat the same concept that
Christians applied when they turned the cross- the structure upon which
Jesus was executed- into the main symbol for the religion and a
positive, rather than a fearful, sign). When a white says "******", he
can't mean "brother of common heritage" and so the original,spiteful
meaning is always assumed to apply.

Was the joke racist? Possibly. Almost any time a white guy needs to
shift into the feigned, stereotypical accent of an African American,
Asian, Mexican, etc to get a laugh there is a strong liklihood that the
humor is racist in nature. I'd be surprised if JohnH could tell that
joke to a classroom of schoolkids in Baltimore.

Since when was being a whore a matter of race or skin color?

******************

The racist portion of the joke wasn't the reference to prostitution, it
was the need to use the stereotypical accent and slang associated with
African Americans (ebonics) to make a very poor pun.

Litmus test: Could JohnH tell that joke to a class of mixed race
teenagers while subbing at a public school and expect there to be no
reaction? (Beyond the predictable lack of laughter, of course).

JimH

"JimH" wrote in message

"Mule" wrote in message
oups.com...
Krause wrote:
The name of the boat is not "You Ho," it is "Yo Ho," and
the name incorporates a graphic of a pirate.

So you are saying that pirates are ho's. As a part time pirate I am
very offended by this statement!

Chris

I agree. But I think he is saying it is a depiction of a pirate
soliciting a prostitute, as in "YO.....Ho!". I wonder if the pirate has a
woody?

Regardless, what a stupid thing to put on a boat.

edit

John H

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:26:12 -0500, "N S Sherlock" no****sherlock.com wrote:

"HaKrause" wrote in message

Nope, just the ones in which you expose your hypocrisy.

Harry,
Does the expression that would be the "Pot calling the kettle black" mean
anything to you?

Sounds like Harry's still ****ed 'cause I wouldn't go on his boat with him. Oh
well.

This is just a case of the pot calling names. His 'hypocrisy' allegations are
baseless, but for Harry that's nothing new.
--
John H

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Since when was being a whore a matter of race or skin color?

******************

The racist portion of the joke wasn't the reference to prostitution, it
was the need to use the stereotypical accent and slang associated with
African Americans (ebonics) to make a very poor pun.

Litmus test: Could JohnH tell that joke to a class of mixed race
teenagers while subbing at a public school and expect there to be no
reaction? (Beyond the predictable lack of laughter, of course).

Give me a fricken break Chuck.....and lighten up.

N S Sherlock

Chuck,
See comments below:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Depends on context and intent.

Example: Two African American teenagers meet on the street and one
greets the other with, "What's up, ******?" They'll laugh and joke and
go on their respective ways.....

I (older white guy) meet either one of the same two teenagers on the
street and say,
"What's up, ******?" and all hell is likely to break loose.

To take the position that anybody should be able to say anything about
a group that certain members of that group say about themselves and
that doing so is not racist would be like stating that because you have
sex with your wife I should be free to do so as well.

No, I did not say any such thing. I stated the expression "HO" is used by
people of all ethnic background and is racially nuetral. It is an
expression used by people of a certain age, so if anything it was an age
related joke. ; ) Harry jumping on the joke was his feeble attempt to
appear superior to JohnH.

When Harry was joking about the double entendre concerning his boat "YO HO"
no one thought it was racist, no should they.

[...]

I would hope that teachers are not making jokes about HO's or whores, but I
doubt if anyone would think the joke about white potatoes was racially
motivated.

John H

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:24:58 -0500, "N S Sherlock" no****sherlock.com wrote:

Harry,
You are the person who stated you liked the double-entendre of "Yo Ho". Now
you are saying it is racist.

It would appear that you are racist to assume all Ho's are black and only
blacks would use the word "HO".

Shame on you.

Good memory! Now that you mentioned that, I recall the statement. Wow, I'm
impressed!
--
John H

John H

On 30 Mar 2005 08:58:47 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Good morning, Chuck. Do you reckon Harry would yell out the name of his boat in
a school in Baltimore?

JohnH doesn't tell jokes in class. There's not enough time, and almost *any*
joke is offensive to someone (if he/she thinks about it long enough).
--
John H

Potato Famine Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 July 26th 03 01:09 AM
old tv show + burning boat + potato = Roy G. Biv ASA 1 June 28th 03 05:41 PM