Default Wash State Mandatory Boater Education Bill clears state senate:

From today's e-mail:

At about 10:20 AM today the Senate passed our Boater Safety Education
Bill. The vote was on final passage was: 30 yea-18 nay.

Speaking in favor: Jacobsen, Swecker, Rockefeller, Haugen, Spanel

Speaking against: Benson, Zarelli, Benton, Hewitt, Schoesler

The opposition seemed to come from uninformed Republicans, but
regardless the Bill passed.

Next step. Pass this bill in the House. We are not done yet. Today
we got thrown a life-ring.

More to follow in the next day or so.
-David Kutz
WAMBE Secretary

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
From today's e-mail:

At about 10:20 AM today the Senate passed our Boater Safety Education
Bill. The vote was on final passage was: 30 yea-18 nay.

Speaking in favor: Jacobsen, Swecker, Rockefeller, Haugen, Spanel

Speaking against: Benson, Zarelli, Benton, Hewitt, Schoesler

The opposition seemed to come from uninformed Republicans, but
regardless the Bill passed.

You had to turn a good news story into a political one?

If so, how about offering specifics on the bill so we can see why
"uninformed Republicans" opposed it?

How about listing the party affiliations of those voting for and against it?

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
From today's e-mail:

At about 10:20 AM today the Senate passed our Boater Safety Education
Bill. The vote was on final passage was: 30 yea-18 nay.

Speaking in favor: Jacobsen, Swecker, Rockefeller, Haugen, Spanel

Speaking against: Benson, Zarelli, Benton, Hewitt, Schoesler

The opposition seemed to come from uninformed Republicans, but
regardless the Bill passed.

Were the Democrats voting against the bill also uniformed, or were they just
against the bill for some valid reason?

Dr. Dr. John Smith

I am glad to see more states passing Mandatory Boater Education Bills.
Currently 33 states currently require some kind of Boating Education
requirements. As more statistical information is available, hopefully we
will see a uniform boating education requirement in all states.

"JimH" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
From today's e-mail:

At about 10:20 AM today the Senate passed our Boater Safety Education
Bill. The vote was on final passage was: 30 yea-18 nay.

Speaking in favor: Jacobsen, Swecker, Rockefeller, Haugen, Spanel

Speaking against: Benson, Zarelli, Benton, Hewitt, Schoesler

The opposition seemed to come from uninformed Republicans, but
regardless the Bill passed.

You had to turn a good news story into a political one?

If so, how about offering specifics on the bill so we can see why
"uninformed Republicans" opposed it?

How about listing the party affiliations of those voting for and against
it?

JimH

"Dr. Dr. John Smith" wrote in message
I am glad to see more states passing Mandatory Boater Education Bills.
Currently 33 states currently require some kind of Boating Education
requirements. As more statistical information is available, hopefully we
will see a uniform boating education requirement in all states.

I agree. I hope those *uninformed Republicans* don't get in the way any
more.

JimH wrote:

You had to turn a good news story into a political one?

If so, how about offering specifics on the bill so we can see why
"uninformed Republicans" opposed it?

How about listing the party affiliations of those voting for and
against it?

*******

Start at the top. Read slowly. I passed along an e-mail, sent to
several hundred people around the state. I did not make the comment
about the political affiliation or the level of information available
to the people who opposed the bill. The author's name is at the bottom
of the page, Dave Kutz. If you have an issue with his choice his
verbiage, please take it up with him. Thanks.

For what it's worth, if the people who were in opposition to the bill
were Republicans and if they were not able to argue on the specifics of
the proposal, they would indeed be Republicans and (on this issue, at
least) uninformed.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
JimH wrote:

You had to turn a good news story into a political one?

If so, how about offering specifics on the bill so we can see why
"uninformed Republicans" opposed it?

How about listing the party affiliations of those voting for and
against it?

*******

Start at the top. Read slowly. I passed along an e-mail, sent to
several hundred people around the state. I did not make the comment
about the political affiliation or the level of information available
to the people who opposed the bill.

Baloney. You would not have posted the "email" otherwise.

So how about a link and a detailing of who voted for and against it?

I haven't heard anything about a mandatory boater education plan. Do
you
have any links to more information?

******************

The following letter from the president of NMTA does an excellent job
of encapsulating the most important points of the proposal.

(If you can prove you passed a USCG Aux or Power Squadron course at any
time in the past you will not be required to sit through a class.
Boaters can also challenge the exam without sitting through class...and
those who flunk belong in class).......

Message from Michael Campbell:

Dear NMTA Members,

Last Friday I sent an e-mail asking you to contact your State Senator
and urge them to support the Mandatory Boater Education Bill. I
received a few comments back from members who were not supportive of
the proposed legislation, and I wanted to take a minute to outline the
important parts of the bill so that NMTA members understand the details
of the proposed new law and can share the information with other
boaters.

I believe that the proposed bill is boater friendly and was
thoughtfully written by boaters=85 for boaters.

Here are the main ideas of the Mandatory Boater Ed bill:

You must be 12 years old to operate a boat of 15 HP or more.
The law is phased in over many years depending on the age group.
The first age group (20 and under) will not need to obtain a card until
2008.
If you were born before 1955 you never need to obtain a card.
The card has a one time fee of $10 and can never be revoked =96 it=92s good
for life.

A course and test can be taken in person from any state accredited
organization or on-line as =93open-book.=94
The test can be challenged and no education course is necessary.
If a boater has completed a class any time in the past, a copy of the
certificate can be sent to the state and a card issued.
New boat owners have 60 days from the date of purchase to obtain the
education card.

Please contact me or Holly Whitemarsh at NMTA is you have any questions
or comments.

Best Regards,

Michael Campbell
President