John H

Default Some good (but off-topic) news!

This will most likely not be seen in the NY Times, and it's not bad
news, so Harry won't be posting it!

******************************
Deputy Commander: Coalition forces winning ‘hearts, minds’ of Iraqis

by Senior Master Sgt. Gene LaDoucer, 506th Air Expeditionary Group
Public Affairs

KIRKUK AIR BASE, Iraq -- While overwhelming force brought a quick end
to major combat operations in Iraq, it’s the coalition’s ability to
win over its people that will ultimately lead to a free Iraq, says
U.S. Central Command’s deputy commander.

During a quick visit here Jan. 12, the first of three in a daylong
tour of military bases in Iraq, Air Force Lt. Gen. Lance Smith spoke
highly of the efforts of U.S. forces in establishing security and
stability in Iraq. He was also quick to praise the efforts of Iraqis
who’ve stepped forward to turn in weapons and identify anti-coalition
forces.

“The people of Iraq are starting to realize they’re the ones who’ll
have to do this and they’re coming forward,” said the general, who
later made stops at Tallil Air Base and Baghdad International Airport.
“We’re looking to them to take more of a leadership role.”

General Smith pointed to the Jan. 5 denouncement of violence by
high-level Ba’ath Party members as an example of the cooperation
helping stabilize the country. During a meeting at a U.S. Army
headquarters in Tallafar, a member of Saddam Hussein’s former
political party, said he’s confident that by helping coalition forces
Iraqis will see swift and sure amendments to the years of poverty and
hardship many in the country have endured.

“Once they realized we were here to help, many of them started coming
forward telling us where the IEDs (improvised explosive devices) were.
Many of them also came forward with the location of anti-coalition
members, and we’re seeing a lot of turning-in of weapons,” the general
said.

While progress is being made, General Smith, who became CENTCOM’s
second in command in October, says challenges remain.

“We’ve watched the number of significant events (against coalition
forces) decline considerably, but we’ve seen an increase in attacks on
Iraqis who are supporting the coalition,” he said. “We’re working that
piece now, which doesn’t work in the favor of the anti-coalition folks
out there.

“I won’t say we’ve turned the corner or that there is light at the end
of the tunnel, but our soldiers, airmen, Marines and sailors are
winning over the Iraqi people. I think we’re on track to leave behind
a free and fledgling democracy when we depart here,” he added.

The general says visitors to Iraq come away with a “clear
understanding of the dedication and professionalism” of the members of
the Armed Forces they meet. But perhaps more importantly, he points
out, is what the Iraqi people think.

“The Iraqi people themselves are starting to realize the quality of
the soldiers who are here trying to do this mission,” he said. “The
future of Iraqi will rest not with just the combat capability of all
our troops but their ability win over the hearts and minds. We’re
working hard on that and it’s our guys out in the field, like the
folks here, that are making that happen.”

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
thunder

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:44:28 -0500, John H wrote:

This will most likely not be seen in the NY Times, and it's not bad news,
so Harry won't be posting it!

Personally, I hope your article is more accurate than my link. I was/am
against this war, but feel we now must stay until the situation is stable.

CIA warns of an Iraqi Civil War:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7765415.htm

Harry Krause

thunder wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:44:28 -0500, John H wrote:

This will most likely not be seen in the NY Times, and it's not bad news,
so Harry won't be posting it!

Personally, I hope your article is more accurate than my link. I was/am
against this war, but feel we now must stay until the situation is stable.

John's "articles" are not news; they are military propaganda, and
therefore probably made-up.

--
Email sent to is never read.