Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary

Default Sunbrella as a "boat house" cover??

(Long...jump to the bottom for the questions. Thanks.)

Here's the situation: While we were working on / restoring our boat
my dad built a lifting hoist in our yard. It is basically four 4x4s that
are about 12 feet tall put into the ground with steel beams going
across them. The boat has lifting rings built in at the stern and bow.
This his how she was meant to be transported / put into the water.

Here's the thing: Dad has been looking into buying one of those
rounded top type structures to store the boat under to keep it
out of the sun and keep the snow off in winter. (Up until now
we've kept her in the shop, but that's a pain to get in and out
of plus we'ld like the room in the shop for other projects *smile* )

ANYWAY...Since we'll want to keep the lifting-rig I figure, why
have (and pay for) a totally seperate structure to store the boat?
Why not use the lifting rig and just make a cover for it?

Now we've tried that with only a little success in the past. Basically,
we've used tarps. The problem is the tarps wear through, break their
gromets in high winds (after many months), etc. So what I'm wondering
is...does it make sense to buy Sunbrella material and make (or have made)
a cover? How hard is that stuff to work with, say to put in gromets or
cut? Does anyone know of a supplier of pre-made tarps out of that stuff?

Other ideas on our situation?

Thanks,
gary