Rob

Default What is consdiered to be a lot of hours?

I'm shopping around for a used boat and I was wondering; how many hours
is too many on a two stroke outboard? Most of the boats I'm looking at
have dual Yamaha 250DPIs. I've seen them with 400 hours and I've seen
them with over 1000. I know this answer will vary depending on how well
the engines were maintained but I suspect there is some rule of thumb
that I just do not know.

Thanks
--
Rob
Tuuk

I have a 99 225 ficht, it has about 800 hours on it now and it is still in
mint condition. Runs like a dream and I think I have gone through about 5 or
6 sets of sparkplugs.

"Rob" wrote in message
. ..
I'm shopping around for a used boat and I was wondering; how many hours
is too many on a two stroke outboard? Most of the boats I'm looking at
have dual Yamaha 250DPIs. I've seen them with 400 hours and I've seen
them with over 1000. I know this answer will vary depending on how well
the engines were maintained but I suspect there is some rule of thumb
that I just do not know.

Thanks
--
Rob

Greg

At a certain point you are really asking how much is new. I put 2500-3000 hours
on my old 75 Mariner but by then it had lots of new parts. The powerhead and
foot internals were still original but I had replaced/rebuilt a lot of other
stuff. It still had good compression and ran OK so a guy paid me $500 for it
but it was certainly tired.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:45:37 GMT, Rob wrote:
I'm shopping around for a used boat and I was wondering; how many hours
is too many on a two stroke outboard? Most of the boats I'm looking at
have dual Yamaha 250DPIs. I've seen them with 400 hours and I've seen
them with over 1000. I know this answer will vary depending on how well
the engines were maintained but I suspect there is some rule of thumb
that I just do not know.

1500 to 2000 hours is about tops for any gasoline engine and many fail
earlier. There are always exceptions of course.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:45:37 GMT, Rob wrote:

I'm shopping around for a used boat and I was wondering; how many hours
is too many on a two stroke outboard? Most of the boats I'm looking at
have dual Yamaha 250DPIs. I've seen them with 400 hours and I've seen
them with over 1000. I know this answer will vary depending on how well
the engines were maintained but I suspect there is some rule of thumb
that I just do not know.

The way I would evaluate a high hours outboard is to check compression
across all the cylinders and make sure it is acceptable for the hp and
age (anything within 10/15% of the new rating is good), check the
general condition of the engine (does it look like it was maintained
properly), run it (make sure it doesn't smoke a lot and runs
smoothly), make sure it shifts in/out of gear, etc. Offer the seller
half what the asking price is and go up from there.

Then, cross your fingers and hope for the best. ;)

A couple of years ago, I bought a '73 Boston Whaler Sport with an '83
Johnson 70 and a spare '83 70 Evinrude power head. Over the winter I
converted the Whaler to a CC and gave some thought to changing the
original powerhead over to the Evinrude - the Johnson looked tired,
ran a little rough, had low compression in one cylinder, etc. Spring
came and just for giggles I took it out to Webster Lake and ran it -
for about the first fifteen minutes I thought I would need the
trolling motor to get it back to the launch ramp - cough, spit, hack,
wheeze - it was running horrible. Then it started getting a little
better, a little better and finally, it was making hole shots and
pushing that 16 foot Whaler along at 45 mph at 3/4 throttle. I sold
it and it's still running strong today.

The moral is, you never know with a used, high hours (or old)
outboard.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom