Dave Manby

Default Extreme race Turkey Coruh River

Yusufeli Extreme race. Çoruh

I propose to run most of the events in the afternoon and leave the
morning free for paddlers to practise and explore. This might change!

More detail below and any questions contact me direct. Remember that the
event is May and the rivers will be high fast and big!

Quite where I would run these races depends on the water levels when I
arrive. I will use stretches of the Çoruh between Yusufeli and
Sukavusmu, and also maybe a stretch between Yusufeli and Ispir - just
upstream of the concrete bridge above Koprugorem. Maybe the 4 boat head
to head race. Paddlers can then paddle back down to Yusufeli after the
event if they want to - takes around two hours in high water. I think it
is important for the paddlers and the film crews to see more of the area
to advertise it! I would also use the Bahal. Either above Sarigol or
above Bahal village - depend on the river level. The stretch from
Sarigol to Yusufeli is not hard enough for the paddlers I hope to get,
also the rapids are not spectator friendly.

If we can make a wave or find one that is working then we can run a
freestyle event on the same day as the Extreme slalom. Either as well as
the slalom or instead of. The Çoruh will be too high to make a wave but
the Bahal may have possibilities up by the old football pitch. (It would
be brilliant if we could make it by the bridge in Yusufeli but that is
too much to ask!)

24th May Arrive and welcome ceremony Lunch Time. Afternoon open for
paddling transport arranged and guides on hand to show the places to go.

25th May Three man and one woman team event. Seperate prize to the main
event.

26th May Extreme Slalom. Counts for 25% of the overall event

27th May 4 boat Head to Head race. Counts for 25% of the overall event
Women 8 competitors 2 x 4 boats first round, 1 x 4 final.
Men 16 competitors 4 x 4 boats first round, 2 x 4 boats second round
1 x 4 boats final.

28th May Individual Time trial in the Morning. Counts for 50% of the
main event

In the afternoon a head to head handicapped race to decide the overall
winner Men No 1 against woman No 1. BIG party.

29th May head for home. Most people from Europe can fly back and be home
in time for work Monday.

Also it is a bank Holiday in the UK on the Monday so Brits can take
another day off if they want.

I have prizes for each event: the extreme slalom, the head to head, the
team event, and the individual down river event, and have a big prize
for the overall winner of the men's and women's event and then a prize
for the race off. Prize pot of 10,000 euros

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at