Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Sort of on topic - book recommendation

Last week, a friend gave me his copy of "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel
Philbrick and I've read it in about a week - great book. It's one of
those "I'll read a couple more pages" kind of books. It's a retelling
of the United Stated Exploring Expedition (1838-1842) which was an
amazing accomplishment and the last all sail exploring expedition in
history.

If you like adventure and great writing, "Sea of Glory" is a terrific
book.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:32:28 -0700, "Jack Rye"
wrote:

try reading the Da Vinci code

Next on the list of books to read.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Last week, a friend gave me his copy of "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel
Philbrick and I've read it in about a week - great book. .......

If you like adventure and great writing, "Sea of Glory" is a terrific
book.

I was given a copy of his earlier book "In The Heart Of The Sea" about a
whaling ship disaster. Also a great book... it's real history, lots of
facts, well written, and a fascinating story.

DSK

Snafu

"DSK" wrote in message
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Last week, a friend gave me his copy of "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel
Philbrick and I've read it in about a week - great book. .......

If you like adventure and great writing, "Sea of Glory" is a terrific
book.

I was given a copy of his earlier book "In The Heart Of The Sea" about a
whaling ship disaster. Also a great book... it's real history, lots of
facts, well written, and a fascinating story.

DSK

I read Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea", too. If a fiction writer came
up with the story, you would say he had a vivid imagination. But, like Doug
said, all of the events in the book are documented and true. The story of
the ship and crew is believed to be Melville's inspiration for "Moby Dick".

I really enjoyed Philbrick's style of writing. I wasn't aware of his book
"Sea of Glory"; I'll definitely read it.

Thanks

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:32:49 GMT, "Snafu"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
[...]

You will enjoy it - it's a great story.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:22:34 -0500, DSK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Last week, a friend gave me his copy of "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel
Philbrick and I've read it in about a week - great book. .......

If you like adventure and great writing, "Sea of Glory" is a terrific
book.

I was given a copy of his earlier book "In The Heart Of The Sea" about a
whaling ship disaster. Also a great book... it's real history, lots of
facts, well written, and a fascinating story.

I read it - excellant. I added it to my library in fact. I'm also
going to add "Sea of Glory" to my collection.

The guy really knows how to write an interesting history book. I was
hugely disappointed in "John Paul Jones" by Evan Thomas. Some folks I
know were raving about how Thomas described the great sea battle and
it was the sorriest description I've ever read about the "Bon Homme
Richard".

Of course my reading has been colored by years of Forrester, Kent,
etc. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

... I was
hugely disappointed in "John Paul Jones" by Evan Thomas. Some folks I
know were raving about how Thomas described the great sea battle and
it was the sorriest description I've ever read about the "Bon Homme
Richard".

Have you read the one by Samuel Eliot Morrison? Not edge-of-your-seat
writing, but it's thorough, and written by somebody who not only knows ships
& the sea but can explain things pretty well.

Of course my reading has been colored by years of Forrester, Kent,
etc. :)

Dudley Pope? Kenneth Roberts?

Regards
Doug King

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:25:29 -0500, DSK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

... I was
hugely disappointed in "John Paul Jones" by Evan Thomas. Some folks I
know were raving about how Thomas described the great sea battle and
it was the sorriest description I've ever read about the "Bon Homme
Richard".

Have you read the one by Samuel Eliot Morrison? Not edge-of-your-seat
writing, but it's thorough, and written by somebody who not only knows ships
& the sea but can explain things pretty well.

I'll look it up - thanks for the tip.

Of course my reading has been colored by years of Forrester, Kent,
etc. :)

Dudley Pope?

"The Yorke" series? I thought the timeline was long and I couldn't
quite get into the series like I did the others, but it was good.
It's been years since I've read them - time for a quick reread me
thinks. I have not read the "Ramage" series - don't know why.

Kenneth Roberts?

"Northwest Passage" only unfortunately.

I do read a lot, but sometimes, things get away from me you know? :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)
DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Dudley Pope?

"The Yorke" series? I thought the timeline was long and I couldn't
quite get into the series like I did the others, but it was good.
It's been years since I've read them - time for a quick reread me
thinks. I have not read the "Ramage" series - don't know why.

I thought they were very good, Pope knows his stuff about ships, sailing, etc
etc... whereas most of the others either get rather vague about details or else
have impossible things happen.

Kenneth Roberts?

"Northwest Passage" only unfortunately.

That was pretty good... Colonel Robert Rogers was a real person, but his life &
career is hard to believe!

I do read a lot, but sometimes, things get away from me you know? :)

Try "Lively Lady." Gets rather grim at times, a lot of it takes place in a
British prison hulk. It's about a family that partly owns & crews on a privateer
in the War of 1812.

Not really much sailing in these, but for the Revolutionary War historical period
IMHO his books "Arundel" about Benedict Arnold's Montreal campaign, "Rabble In
Arms" about Burgoyne & Arnold & the Battle of Saratoga, and "Oliver Wiswell"
about the 'civil war' aspect of the American Revolution. Lots of real history
wrapped into the story. And it so happens that since boats & ships were so
important back then, they are integral to a lot of the action.... just like a
modern book will have a lot of details about cars & trucks even if it's about
something else entirely.

Regards-
Doug King

on topic/off topic same ole General 2 December 10th 03 01:02 AM
Interesting book Gould 0738 General 4 November 6th 03 06:30 PM
Homer Hickam's latest book Lone Eagle General 0 September 29th 03 04:02 PM
Helpful new boating book Gould 0738 General 0 August 27th 03 05:39 PM