Jim

Default Deep cell Charging, Proper procedure?

Is there any procedure that I need follow to charge my deep cell
batteries? I have a "Marine" 12 volt charger. When I try to charge them
it seems to take a very long time and I have never charged them fully
because I am worried about the long charges. How long should it take to
charge a deep cell?

Depends on the capacity of the battery and the output of the charger.

Is your "marine" charger also a "smart charger"?
Some marine chargers are just rust resistant (not rust proof) versions
of cheapie auto store chargers sold for 3 times the price.

If it's a smart charger, it will charge in three distinct stages. The
first two pour a lot of juice into the battery to bring up cells fairly
rapidly, and the last is a "float" stage that supplies just a trickle
of current to keep the battery topped up.

If you have a smart charger, you should be able to run it until the
batteries are fully charged and then leave it connected (assuming you
check your boat every few days or so) to keep them that way.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:45:01 -0600, Jim wrote:

Is there any procedure that I need follow to charge my deep cell
batteries? I have a "Marine" 12 volt charger. When I try to charge them
it seems to take a very long time and I have never charged them fully
because I am worried about the long charges. How long should it take to
charge a deep cell?

Here's a guess. You are probably trying to charge the battery with a
trickle battery charger. Probably need a larger charger.

Believe it or not, Wal-Mart sells a great "smart" charger - fully
encapsulated and while not rated as water proof, it is. I know from
practical experience.

If you have a smart charger and your battery is behaving like this,
it is probably shot.

Later,

Tom

Wayne.B

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:27:59 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

yeh, I got a $25 smart charger (6 amp) from W*l-Mart and it works great.
Called Vector or Victor or something. 't's all I need.

For $80 at Walmart you can get a REAL charger that will do 35 amps,
has a desulfate mode that works, and a built in alternator tester.

It's called a Vector.

Richard J Kinch

Jim writes:

Is there any procedure that I need follow to charge my deep cell
batteries? I have a "Marine" 12 volt charger. When I try to charge them
it seems to take a very long time and I have never charged them fully
because I am worried about the long charges. How long should it take to
charge a deep cell?

Besides the Vector brand already mentioned, check out the Schumacher brand
sold at auto parts stores. A sturdy 30 amp digital charger for less than
$100. I followed this thing with an ammeter, and you can see it finessing
the very top of the charge with a differential time-varying voltage.

Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM
charging deep cycle trolling battery with truck [email protected] General 4 November 22nd 03 07:28 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM