BoatBanter.com

-   -   Why Ficht failed no1 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2819-why-ficht-failed-no1.html)

JDavis1277 January 25th 04 10:39 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

Del,

No, I don't have any quantitative data. Would have used it otherwise.

My "some" could well be Karen's many.... or huge numbers???? But it seems
clear from Bill Grannis' comments that there were some problems in the early
models.

Here on the group we don't hear from many unhappy owners (Habbi??) but many who
comment seem pretty happy with the engines. The mechanics and service managers
I've talked to speak of a few early engines with problems. I've no idea what
exactly that means. Admitedly I've only spoken with about a half dozen
technical types so it's hardly a sampling.

If it was still 1999 and I was seeking a light weight 115 HP outboard for my
Whaler I'd again choose a FICHT. Today, given the alternatives, the choice
would be less clear. The new FICHTs would be hard to resist given my
experience with an older one. The new Merc 3 cylinder Opti would also get a
close look. Since I've now been using this boat and motor for almost six years
hole shot is not as important to me as it once was. Therefore the four strokes
would get a very close look.

Choice, aint it wonderful???

Butch

Del asked: Out of curiosity, do you have any quantitative data relating to
"teething problems in 1998 " ie how many 150/175 hp motors did they sell
in 1998 an 1999 and how many failed? I know this data was probably
confidential and guarded closely. but was it like "corvairs had a few
handling problems" or "Vegas had a few engine problems"?

These technical topics are interesting to me.

Harry Krause January 25th 04 11:49 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

JDavis1277 wrote:

Del,

No, I don't have any quantitative data. Would have used it otherwise.

My "some" could well be Karen's many.... or huge numbers???? But it seems
clear from Bill Grannis' comments that there were some problems in the early
models.

Here on the group we don't hear from many unhappy owners (Habbi??)

Habbi has had "problems" with every aspect of his boating experiences
the last five years...from picking the wrong boats, to mismatching boats
with engines, to picking the wrong kinds of props, et cetera.

--
Email sent to is never read.

del cecchi January 26th 04 01:40 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

"JDavis1277" wrote in message
[...]

snip

It it were 99, I would most likely choose a carb'd 115 just like I did
in 98. I am sort of suspicious of new fangled breakthroughs, especially
in internal combustion engines. And the price difference will buy a lot
of gas, at least it's a lot here in Minnesota where the lake surface is
pretty hard 6 months a year.

If it were 2004 I would almost certainly go 4stroke. That 115
yamaha/Mercury is pretty nice, although having the Suzuki dealer a mile
away from my dock is another factor.

del cecchi

Del Cecchi January 26th 04 07:46 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

snip
John,

Bill is a great source of information and used to post here very
frequently, until he was inundated with K's verbiage and invective.
But don't trust me, check google... it tells the tale...

While googling don't forget to notice the juvenile insults cast her way.
Then notice the paucity of information about what was going on with FICHT
and OMC in the 98-99 time frame when the "few teething problems" happened,
and bankruptcy was on the way. There was a lot of "everything is beautiful"
posted which in retrospect seems to have been a tad premature.

del cecchi