BoatBanter.com

-   -   Why Ficht failed no1 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2819-why-ficht-failed-no1.html)

Rick January 19th 04 06:56 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

K Smith wrote:

Anyway I note you have no challenge to the material so far???

All you have done, aside from reinforcing the local
consensus that you are an obsessed loon, is to state a bunch
of internal combustion engine truisms. You have posted
nothing new, controversial, or not well understood by nearly
everyone who has a passing association with the art. What
you posted is the foundation of the technology and contains
nothing peculiar to any manufacturer.

Your troll has worked, you got some attention, you stirred
up some bored people, myself included, but other than that
you have failed to make a single statement to support or
dispute any manufacturer's claims or technology.

Only you know why you started this thread, it has no
foundation in fact as a reasonable and reasoned statement on
the validity of the Ficht technology. It is a very
enlightening illustration of an altered mental state, which
few here will deny, and adds nothing to the debate which
seems to have passed with the improvements made since you
suffered your initial insult.

Let it go, get over it. Speaking for myself at least, I
could care less what you think about Ficht and even less
about what you think about any other poster.

If any single poster on this group could be discribed as
irrelevant, it is you. And that is a fact by any definition.

Rick

Rick January 19th 04 09:12 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

WaIIy wrote:

There's no "consensus", just a few whiners who don't know how to use a
killfile.

Wally, I am in a good mood today and I do feel a bit sorry
for your inability to comprehend written English. Consensus
is defined as "general agreement" and if you are able to
count and manipulate simple mathematical concepts you will
note that the majority of respondents have declared an
opinion that "K" is what I described as a loon.

If you differ with Karen's observations, post some factual information.

This again is an indicator, not of any disagreement with a
technical process or technique, but of your lack of reading
comprehension skills. The definition of a "truism" is
something that is so obvious it hardly rates repeating, for
example, "light levels outside are generally higher in
daytime than nighttime hours." "K" posted nothing with which
to disagree, fuel burns, temperature and pressure are
related (though she stated it in a rather peculiar fashion
but that is more related to here inability to articulate
rather than espousing a new and possibly controversial
amendment to the laws of thermodynamics and behavior of
gases) so she did nothing other than state the obvious.

Her personal feelings about some outdated technology are of
little interest to most. The reason for her irrational and
rambling attacks on Ficht and another poster are hers alone
and of absolutely no interest to me and probably, most
others here. If you care then that is nice, you and "K"
should enjoy each other's virtual company.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Rick

Mad Dog Dave January 19th 04 11:46 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

John H wrote in message
Hey Dog, if you disagree with what she says, why not post what you
think to be correct? Your personal attacks lend no credence to your
comments.
John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

That's three or maybe four times you have attempted to swat at me, yet
I don't see any evidence that you swat at this Karen Smith person for
her endless attacks on others.

Are you perhaps living a life full of doubtful standards?

John H January 19th 04 11:55 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

On 19 Jan 2004 15:46:41 -0800, (Mad
Dog Dave) wrote:

John H wrote in message
Hey Dog, if you disagree with what she says, why not post what you
think to be correct? Your personal attacks lend no credence to your
comments.
John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

That's three or maybe four times you have attempted to swat at me, yet
I don't see any evidence that you swat at this Karen Smith person for
her endless attacks on others.

Are you perhaps living a life full of doubtful standards?

Perhaps you missed this.
"... I am neither a
supporter or detractor for Karen's posts, at least in my postings.I
don't support the name-calling, nor do I support the 850 line posts. I
would much prefer she stop both.

"As to her comments on Fichts, I have no opinion. I know nothing of
the motor. I learn a little about motors with her posts, and a little
more from the rebuttals to her posts. But note, name-calling tirades
such as those used by Mad Dog Dave, are not rebuttals.

I have commented in the past to Karen about her attacks on Harry.
Karen has, occasionally, posted some great on topic posts. I've
learned much about diesels from her posts.

Should she stop the name-calling? Yes. Should she stop the 850-line
posts? Yes. But, the worst names she has called anyone do not come
close to the names she has been called by Harry and a couple of his
buddies.

JDavis1277 January 20th 04 12:20 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

John H,

I like the name Poco Loco and it describes my feelings about boating. I'm a
little crazy about them.

If you'd like a recommendation from me as to where to get the facts on FICHTs I
can suggest no better source than Bill Grannis. Karen is a source.... but not
of factual information on FICHTs, IMO. My opinion is based upon my experience
and that of every other owner I've met. BTW, the Evinrude service guys along
the central coast of the Gulf of Mexico seems to be that FICHTs are super
engines after some teething pains around 1988 or so in a couple of sizes.

Are you sure you simply want to learn from the FICHT discussions?

Butch

John H January 20th 04 01:14 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

On 20 Jan 2004 00:20:36 GMT, (JDavis1277) wrote:

John H,

I like the name Poco Loco and it describes my feelings about boating. I'm a
little crazy about them.

If you'd like a recommendation from me as to where to get the facts on FICHTs I
can suggest no better source than Bill Grannis. Karen is a source.... but not
of factual information on FICHTs, IMO. My opinion is based upon my experience
and that of every other owner I've met. BTW, the Evinrude service guys along
the central coast of the Gulf of Mexico seems to be that FICHTs are super
engines after some teething pains around 1988 or so in a couple of sizes.

Are you sure you simply want to learn from the FICHT discussions?

Butch

Thanks Butch. I do enjoy reading Bill's posts. Although, I can't
remember his posting other than in response to Karen's posts. He seems
very knowledgeable, however, and I wish he'd post more often.

Am I sure I simply want to learn from the Ficht discussions? What
would be the point of reading them otherwise? It's for sure I'm not
looking for new and exciting ways to call someone names!

Until people, like Bill, started posting something opposed to Karen's
claims about Fichts, hers was the *only* information about that
engine. Personally, I wouldn't know a Ficht from a Honda without the
name painted on the side. So, talk of aluminum heads, skirted pistons,
heat ranges, etc. provides a learning experience. We aren't all
outboard motor mechanics. My boat has a 5.7L Mercruiser, so I have
very little outboard experience.

Why do you ask?

John H January 20th 04 09:58 PM

Why Ficht failed no1

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:52:29 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:14:52 -0500, John H
wrote:

[...]

John,

Bill is a great source of information and used to post here very
frequently, until he was inundated with K's verbiage and invective.
But don't trust me, check google... it tells the tale...

Like I told JDavis, I enjoy Bill's posts. I won't Google him up
though. I would hate to see anyone who contributes leave the NG
because of the name-calling/invective of another. It's simply too easy
to disregard those types of posts. In the past month or two, Harry has
probably called me names in a few dozen posts, but he is easy to
disregard.

As far as learning anything about the Ficht motors, I could care less
which brand is being discussed. I like posts which are informative
about any kind of engine. I will, most assuredly, not by an outboard
based solely on what I read in this group.

My prized possession now is a cap my daughter had made for me as a
Christmas present. It has "Poco Loco" with "Deale, MD" sewn on it.
Probably a little flamboyant for a 21' boat, but what the hey - I like
it! (I've noticed a whole lot of people looking at my cap and then
giving me strange looks, though!)

del cecchi January 25th 04 12:56 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

"K Smith" wrote in message
Billgran wrote:
"K Smith" wrote in message

I will point out that garden variety aluminium, we use it here, has

"melting" point of about 660C or 1220F. So your new "special" high

temp
alloy pistons might be stronger, but they are an admission the fuel

is
autoigniting, which it definitely is by much much lower temps.

Ah, you don't get it at all, Karen. With FICHTs performing well over

2000
hours in commercial fishing use and for years doing OK, it's not a

problem
of piston melting. The "NASA space age" aluminum does not expand as

much as
traditional alloys. This allows E-TEC to have a very snug piston to

cylinder
fit for less piston-slap noise in the motor. There are also no

cutaways in
the skirts either, so the piston has less "rocking" motion. The

E-TEC is
competing against the 4-stroke noise issue and the less expanding,

tighter
fitting piston helps. I've run the motors and mechanical noise is

almost
non-existant, even with the motor cover off.

Sorry Bill they're having a lend of you yet again, just as they did
when they told you all the other BS, by know I thought you might have
been more wary;

snip

However despite all the troubles, OMC got chucked & now Bomb have
chucked it; you never once stopped to wonder why they needed all this

snip

I believe you have mischaracterized the sale of the Recreational
Products Division. They needed the money to build airplanes and trains.
The family bought the snowmachines and outboards. I would think that is
a vote that there are no timebombs lurking.

del cecchi
Karen Smith
at your service

Bill Grannis
service manager

del cecchi January 25th 04 12:59 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

"Mad Dog Dave" wrote in message
om...
K Smith wrote in message

Mad Dog Dave wrote:

This is the brain dead liar Harry, I think they've bussed him to the
south so he can hold a placard & protest against Bush, really sad

thing
is he'll be back.

He's even going to meet him just a minute, just how stupiod can he

be???

I guess the two emails I got about you were correct. The consensus
here is that you are an off-balance psycho with too many axes to
grind.

Nah, the two emails were probably from Harry and Harry using another ID.
:-)

del cecchi January 25th 04 01:09 AM

Why Ficht failed no1

"JDavis1277" wrote in message
[...]

Out of curiosity, do you have any quantitative data relating to
"teething problems in 1998 " ie how many 150/175 hp motors did they sell
in 1998 an 1999 and how many failed? I know this data was probably
confidential and guarded closely. but was it like "corvairs had a few
handling problems" or "Vegas had a few engine problems"?

These technical topics are interesting to me.
del