jim

Default salt water and motors

hey guys, looking for some guidance on salt water since i boat on the Ohio
river. I am looking a purchasing a formula that is in Florida that is a 99
with 502 motors. Two years rack stored, two and half years in the water
with bottom paint, bottom paint put on last year. Outdrives replaced in
december. Motors have 700 hours with 160 psi compression, but what I am
worried about is the salt water going through the engine. How bad is this?

All advice will be heeded

--
Jim

Shwackman

Jim, I had a marina owner tell me once "never violate the five year rule". In
his opinion, as far as buying used went, anything older was worthless. Turned
out to be good advice I think.
Wayne.B

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:52:30 GMT, "jim" wrote:

hey guys, looking for some guidance on salt water since i boat on the Ohio
river. I am looking a purchasing a formula that is in Florida that is a 99
with 502 motors. Two years rack stored, two and half years in the water
with bottom paint, bottom paint put on last year. Outdrives replaced in
december. Motors have 700 hours with 160 psi compression, but what I am
worried about is the salt water going through the engine. How bad is this?

It's bad. If the engines are salt water cooled, they are getting near
the end of their useful life, particularly on a boat which has been
pushed hard. If freshwater cooled with heat exchangers, then you need
to worry about the exhaust manifolds, risers and oil coolers, all of
which are about due for replacement. In either case, those engines
with 700 hours on them are no bargain at any price.
F330 GT

================================================= =

It's bad. If the engines are salt water cooled, they are getting near
the end of their useful life, particularly on a boat which has been
pushed hard. If freshwater cooled with heat exchangers, then you need
to worry about the exhaust manifolds, risers and oil coolers, all of
which are about due for replacement. In either case, those engines
with 700 hours on them are no bargain at any price.

My thinking would be that if the engines were fresh water cooled you may get a
few years out of them. The compression is good so the mechanicals shouldn't be
a problem. As mentioned the risers and manifolds could need replacing soon, but
they may have been replaced already.

The main thing to consider is you have a nice hull with new outdrives. If you
go into this figuring on new engines in a few years and if the boat is priced
right, it still could be a good deal. Gas engines ar relatively cheap when
compared to a new boat.
Whether or not it's a good deal really depends on the price.

Barry
jim

Thanks guys, that is what I thought, I do not think it has closed cooling.
I believe it is priced right as it is by far the least expensive I have seen
advertised but as the saying goes, if it sounds too good, it probably is.
I got pictures of the boat and it seems to be in very nice shape, but I
thought the engines might need to be replaced. Thanks for the info.

--
jim

Don White

Most of the sailing fleet in this area was manufactured in the 70's or 80's.
Up here the season is about 5 months long so our five years might be equal
to 2 years in Florida.......or 12 years here equal to 5 down south.

Shwackman wrote in message
Jim, I had a marina owner tell me once "never violate the five year rule".

In
his opinion, as far as buying used went, anything older was worthless.

Turned
out to be good advice I think.

Calif Bill

"jim" wrote in message
Thanks guys, that is what I thought, I do not think it has closed

cooling.
I believe it is priced right as it is by far the least expensive I have

seen
advertised but as the saying goes, if it sounds too good, it probably is.
I got pictures of the boat and it seems to be in very nice shape, but I
thought the engines might need to be replaced. Thanks for the info.

--
jim

Unless the engines have been abused, I figure they should get 12-1400 hours
running. At 700, that is maybe 1/2 life. My 351W Ford in a river jetboat
has about 1300, and still runs fine. I run both salt and fresh. Closed
cooling, and aluminum exhaust manifolds.
Bill

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Jim,
What you are describing is a great boat with run out engines. New
outdrives are a big plus though. The Formula Boat line is extremely well
made! With an engine replacement should last a good long while. I own 3
Formula boats (or my company owns 2 and I 1) My favorite is the '91 26
PC. She is fast and comfortable. The company boats both 33 pc's have
stood the test of being "rental" units and come through with flags
flying. Not many problems except the Lecta San units. We finally ripped
the Lecta San units out and went to large holding tanks. The problems
were mostly due to user (renter) errors like flushing cigarette butts
and female sanitary products. Both have bee run aground with no hull
damage. It did tear up the outdrives though. We perform most of our own
repairs and maintenance.

la Dolce Vita (My personal boat.) is on her third engine, second
outdrive and second air conditioner. Most bolt on engine accessories
have been replaced as well. I did a ~ Complete ~ overhaul last spring
and it cost me about 13,800.00 for new engine, drive overhaul and
replace pumps, water heater, radar, radio package, sonar, and a couple
of add on gadgets. About 3 grand in electronics.

If you are buying from an owner in Florida, be sure to examine the
various pumps thoroughly. I do not think you will find any problems with
the hull, fittings or cabin components. All are premium grade and built
to last.

Have a look at my website for a little Formula info.

http://www.home.earthlink.ner/~aartworks

Email me from link on website with the Formula model you are looking at
and I will give you any information I can. Formula makes a great
product, and I will be a lifelong customer.

Good Luck,

Capt. Frank

jim wrote:
hey guys, looking for some guidance on salt water since i boat on the Ohio
river. I am looking a purchasing a formula that is in Florida that is a 99
with 502 motors. Two years rack stored, two and half years in the water
with bottom paint, bottom paint put on last year. Outdrives replaced in
december. Motors have 700 hours with 160 psi compression, but what I am
worried about is the salt water going through the engine. How bad is this?

All advice will be heeded

jim

There are better, but much more expensive (and I mean by at least 20%)
this is the only one I can afford and with an engine replacement due soon,
I cannot afford it either.

--
Jim

Wayne.B

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:36:50 GMT, "jim" wrote:
There are better, but much more expensive (and I mean by at least 20%)
this is the only one I can afford and with an engine replacement due soon,
I cannot afford it either.

It's a good strategy to not buy a boat that is right on the edge of
your budget. There are always surprises somewhere, and they just keep
coming.

Gearcase full of water habbi General 20 December 25th 03 12:51 AM
Help: 50 hp Johnson ('72) allergic to water DundasJim General 4 July 21st 03 02:25 AM