Bill Tuthill

Default Western water outlook

Arizona, New Mexico, Utah southern Colorado all above normal.
Anybody have a Salt permit? I forgot to apply for one.
Might be a good year for the Animas.

Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington all below normal.
Let's hope they get more precipitation in February-March.

No Spam

Bill, what's up with this. It's on On Topic post! Are those still allowed ;

I'm on the East coast and I would be willing to part with some of our "Wet".
I'm beginning to feel waterlogged, maybe because so much of our precip this
winter has been as rain. Our local club is looking at going back to Lake
Powell this summer to see some of what has been uncovered by the lower water
levels. I would love to join them but I don't know if I will have the time
or money. I'll have to see how long they are planning to go for. The last
time they went they rented a houseboat to use as a basecamp and loaded the
kayaks up on the roof. Here is a link to a picture from their last trip
http://www.outsideadventures.org/album/album.htm it is what has me plotting
and planning trying to make this trip with them.

Ken

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Arizona, New Mexico, Utah southern Colorado all above normal.
Anybody have a Salt permit? I forgot to apply for one.
Might be a good year for the Animas.

Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington all below normal.
Let's hope they get more precipitation in February-March.

Bill Tuthill

No Spam wrote:
Bill, what's up with this. An On Topic post! Are those still allowed ;

Perhaps not. You are the only person who saw it before cancelled.

I'm on the East coast and I would be willing to part with some of our "Wet".
I'm beginning to feel waterlogged, maybe because so much of our precip this
winter has been as rain. Our local club is looking at going back to Lake
Powell this summer to see some of what has been uncovered by the lower water
levels. I would love to join them but I don't know if I will have the time
or money. I'll have to see how long they are planning to go for. The last
time they went they rented a houseboat to use as a basecamp and loaded the
kayaks up on the roof. Here is a link to a picture from their last trip
http://www.outsideadventures.org/album/album.htm it is what has me plotting
and planning trying to make this trip with them.

Speaking of Powell, this would be an ideal year to run the Escalante
or Dirty Devil (next creek east of the Escalante). Snowpack is currently
almost 200% of normal, and the reservoir is ultra low, so there would be
continued flow well down the Escalante (or Dirty Devil) arm. It might be
possible to take out at Hole in the Wall, greatly simplifying your shuttle
on the west side.

Richard Ferguson

I saw the outlet of the dirty devil several years ago, when we took my
rowboat with motor from Hite up the Colorado as far as we could get.
The lake was much higher then, of course, and we took the boat as far up
the Dirty Devil as we could get, rowing when it got shallow. I don't
remember any visible current.

I found some trip reports, which made the Dirty Devel sound interesting,
but strange. What about the last section down to the Colorado, with
the water so low, wouldn't that be super-steep? If Hite is closed,
where would you take out? With the canyon being pretty narrow, I
imagine you might have almost no options if you hit a big rapid or
problem. The Hite boat ramp is closed, but maybe the road to Hite is
still open. When would there be enough water to make it practical?
Apparently the stream gauge is working, was 109 cuft/sec when I checked.
The two trip reports are recent enough that the lake must have been
low when they ran it.

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?885

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?624

Richard