RG

Default gas tank size for flats skiff?

I'm rebuilding a '89 El Pescador (www.elpescadorboats.com) and she is having
a 50 hp Yamaha 2 cycle installed today. I can easily fit a 12 gallon tank
under the console, but wonder what size tank most owners of small flats
skiffs have in their boats?

I can probably get double that capacity in, if I buy one that is configured
correctly, and I will have to raise the console to get it in initially.

At this time, my usage is only for short runs, not too far from the launch,
but more fuel capacity might open new vistas for fishing.

comments?

RichG

Bill Kiene

Hi Rich,

Sounds like a nice size boat. I think that 12 gallons is enough but you
could always throw in some extra gas if you are running a ways.

I did look at a half dozen 16' outboard powered boats and they had 20 to
45(Whaler) gallon built in gas tanks.

My friend has a 17' boat with a large(~40gal) gas tank but only put a small
amount of gas in it because it is heavy and can go bad.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

"RG" wrote in message
I'm rebuilding a '89 El Pescador (www.elpescadorboats.com) and she is

having
a 50 hp Yamaha 2 cycle installed today. I can easily fit a 12 gallon tank
under the console, but wonder what size tank most owners of small flats
skiffs have in their boats?

I can probably get double that capacity in, if I buy one that is

configured
correctly, and I will have to raise the console to get it in initially.

At this time, my usage is only for short runs, not too far from the

launch,
but more fuel capacity might open new vistas for fishing.

comments?

RichG

Calif Bill

I would try to go bigger. I ran a 6 gallon on a 14' 15hp and used maybe 3
gallons in a day. Figuring a conservative 3 mpg on your boat, that is only
36 miles for 12 gallons. And figuring a rule of 1/3's. 1/3rd out, that is
only 4 gallons or 12 miles from the ramp.
Bill

"RG" wrote in message
I'm rebuilding a '89 El Pescador (www.elpescadorboats.com) and she is

having
a 50 hp Yamaha 2 cycle installed today. I can easily fit a 12 gallon

tank
under the console, but wonder what size tank most owners of small flats
skiffs have in their boats?

I can probably get double that capacity in, if I buy one that is

configured
correctly, and I will have to raise the console to get it in initially.

At this time, my usage is only for short runs, not too far from the

launch,
but more fuel capacity might open new vistas for fishing.

comments?

RichG

Wayne.B

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:29:45 GMT, "RG"
wrote:
I'm rebuilding a '89 El Pescador (www.elpescadorboats.com) and she is having
a 50 hp Yamaha 2 cycle installed today. I can easily fit a 12 gallon tank
under the console, but wonder what size tank most owners of small flats
skiffs have in their boats?

I can probably get double that capacity in, if I buy one that is configured
correctly, and I will have to raise the console to get it in initially.

At this time, my usage is only for short runs, not too far from the launch,
but more fuel capacity might open new vistas for fishing.

You'll be burning 3 to 4 gallons per hour at cruising speed so I'd
recommend at least 15 to 20 gallons. One possibility is to carry a
second tank, either a 6 or a 12, and run from that once in a while to
keep the fuel fresh.

Carolina Skiff owners group RG General 0 December 17th 03 12:47 PM
pump out or no pumpout head David Ditch General 30 November 5th 03 01:46 AM
Clogged Waste Tank Vent JML General 3 September 17th 03 02:47 AM
Tank Level Meters: Headmistress (Peggy)? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 August 6th 03 04:30 AM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM