Default Feb 2nd should be a boating holiday

February 2.

Halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

Celebrated for thousands of years by most advanced religious
traditions.

Has been westernized as St. Brigid's Day: St Brigid was supposedly the
daughter or employee of the inkeeper in Bethlehem.
When Mary and Joseph arrived, the hotel was full and the well had gone
dry. The innkeeper left Brigid in charge, with strict instructions not
to sell any portion of the meager food and water reserves to anybody.
According to legend, Brigid obeyed the innkeeper and did not sell them
any food or drink-- but she gave freely of her own personal loaf of
bread and flask of drinking water. The legend says that after the holy
family left to go to the stable, Brigid noticed that her loaf of bread,
which had been almost entirely consumed by Mary and Joseph was fully
restored, and her water flask was brimming with cool, clear water.
Charming tale.

Also previously known as Candlemass, marking the end of Mary's ritual
purification period following the birth of Jesus.

Also previously known as a heck of an excuse to party, while
recognizing any number of polytheistic dieties. :-)

Now popularly known as "Groundhog Day." Any of the old stories are more
interesting than some tradition about a burrowing animal and a shadow.

Ought to be a boating holiday. It's halfway between solstice and
equinox, boating weather and longer daylight hours are returning to the
northern latitudes.

JohnH

On 1 Feb 2005 21:03:49 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Today would be a beautiful day to be on the Chesapeake Bay. There
isn't a cloud in the sky, the winds are calm, and the temperature is a
brisk 30 F.

But, Punxsutawney Bill, our local groundhog, says, "Six more weeks!"

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
P.Fritz

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

Hell, with it as cold as it has been....I'm hoping most of the ice will be
gone by the first day of launch.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to
resolve it."
Rene Descartes

basskisser

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Hehe...would you mean PHIL???

Don White

wrote in message
ups.com...
February 2.

snip
Ought to be a boating holiday. It's halfway between solstice and
equinox, boating weather and longer daylight hours are returning to the
northern latitudes.

I'll trade my -8C for your boating weather. Things are looking up.We may
actually creep a degree or two over the freezing mark in the next day or so.
It's been a while!

Don White

"basskisser" wrote in message im

Hehe...would you mean PHIL???

Maybe Johnh has his own little rat to advise him on weather conditions.

JohnH

On 2 Feb 2005 06:54:11 -0800, "basskisser" wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Could be Phil. Hearing loss makes the distinguishing of 'ph' and 'b'
sounds difficult sometimes.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
basskisser

wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

He's been around for years and years, you've never READ about him?

JohnH

wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

No. I've never really gotten interested in reading a whole lot about a
ground hog. I did shoot one once. We had it for dinner. Roasted it.

I suppose there are a lot of people who do a lot of reading about
ground hogs. It's unfortunate that I've never been interested in them.

I did collect stamps though. Have you ever done that. There are a lot
of stamps with ships on them. I guess that'd be boating related, huh?

You *are* a wealth of information.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
basskisser

wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

You have never, ever read anything in the newspaper concerning Phil? Do
you READ the newspaper? Hell, I've heard of him and have never lived
even remotely close to Punxatauny. He's even mentioned in the
newspapers in FL every year.