Bob H

Default Winter Storage and NOT Winterizing?

In my search up here in the northern states for a Regal cruiser I've =
come across several parties that have their vessel in heated storage. =
They claim that they do not winterize their boat.

Put aside the obvious risk of "What if you loose power and heat" ... =
what about the engine? I thought it was not good to leave it sit for =
5-6 months with raw water in the block, as rust corrosion would be =
accelerated. I thought that was one of the side benefits of cooling =
system flush with winterizing fluid as it protected against corrosion.

Also ... I thought you were not supposed to leave the engine sit without =
fogging to protect internal surfaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic from practical, mechanical =
experience?

Thanks,

Bob

Senior Wrangler

It's always a good idea to "winterize" even if it's
being stored. You can create some very real
problems even in a heated garage.

Later,

Tom

"Bob H" wrote in message
In my search up here in the northern states for a Regal cruiser I've come
across several parties that have their vessel in heated storage. They claim
that they do not winterize their boat.

Put aside the obvious risk of "What if you loose power and heat" ... what
about the engine? I thought it was not good to leave it sit for 5-6 months
with raw water in the block, as rust corrosion would be accelerated. I
thought that was one of the side benefits of cooling system flush with
winterizing fluid as it protected against corrosion.

Also ... I thought you were not supposed to leave the engine sit without
fogging to protect internal surfaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic from practical, mechanical
experience?

Tuuuk

krause

you sick old 76 year old senile old fool,, you shouldn't be giving advice to
anyone,, you haven't a clue,,, I mean your own family is a failure,,, you
don't even own a boat,, I know,, I know,, you owned fleets of navy ship
sized private yachts,,, lol,,, but you should never give advice to anyone,,
it isn't safe,,, you stick to your lying and puppet mastering,,, keep your
friend's heads up your ass like kanter and white,,, between the two of them
they couldn't safely cross a road so you and your puppets should never give
advice,,, stick to your Bush bashing,,,

"Bob H" wrote in message
In my search up here in the northern states for a Regal cruiser I've come
across several parties that have their vessel in heated storage. They
claim that they do not winterize their boat.

Put aside the obvious risk of "What if you loose power and heat" ... what
about the engine? I thought it was not good to leave it sit for 5-6
months with raw water in the block, as rust corrosion would be
accelerated. I thought that was one of the side benefits of cooling
system flush with winterizing fluid as it protected against corrosion.

Also ... I thought you were not supposed to leave the engine sit without
fogging to protect internal surfaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic from practical, mechanical
experience?

Yeah, sure. Make sure you flush out a closed cooling system and refill it
with anti-rust antifreeze in the proper proportions. Change the engine
filter and oil. Wipe down the engine and grease and oil fittings and
moving parts. Run the engine and then fog it. Pour some gasoline
preservative in the fuel tank. Ignore this at your engine's peril.

Butch Davis

Don't know who this Tuuuk idiot is.... but: I highly recommend winterizing
even when a rig is stored in a heated environment. Ever hear of a power
outage? Plus, as Harry said, there is more to winterizing then protecting
against freezing.

Good luck.

Butch

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

Junior Member

Definitely I would say common sense would tell you that winterizing would prolong the life of any motor being stored.

I just bought a new little fishing boat and am trying to learn the ropes on proper maintainance myself. The motor is just a little 4 stroke 8 horsepower outboard, but carry's a pretty hefty price tag new. I want to make sure I take care of it.
I just made an engine stand for it using my old automotive engine stand. I just screwed some 2x6's on and made a nice flat mounting surface....works pretty good. The motor is new and has only been run a few times. I hadn't started it though for about 2-3 months or so after buying it. It didn't seem to start right away... I pulled and pulled and nothing. I then waited about 5 minutes, and tried again...this time I could hear it try to start and after like 5 -10 pulls it started (using the choke and had primed the fuel with ball of course initially). After I ran it and turned it off, it started on 1 pull with no hesitation at all. I guess with these motors you have to start them regularly. I think it was dry initially with no fuel in the line or float.

In any case I was told the best way is to start it every couple months throughout the year. My question is, if I do that should I remove the gas line between starting times so the carb runs dry? Or should I leave fuel in the carb and fuel line between 2 month starts? In addition, is there anything else I should do? I heard some say to run some antifreeze through. Might be a good Idea to pour some into the garbage can when I run it. This way it cycles the antifreeze through the output hole.... Then the fogger spray I've also heard about? What is this stuff? Any advice would be appreciated .

Boots

Outboards are self draining so don't worry about that. Just
remove the plugs and spray some oil made for lay/up in the
plug holes and pull the motor over a few time and reinstall
the plugs. When you run it for the last time put stable in
the gas and remove the fuel line and run it dry and go to
bed for the winter. Come spring connect the fuel line and
go.
"ironwarrior" wrote
in message ...

--
ironwarrior

Don Dando

Also....

Check the oil in the lower unit. Remove the bottom plug. if water comes out
or if the oil is milky you have trouble with the seals. Water can freeze
and break the lower unit casting and this becomes a very expensive repair.

If there is any sign of water and also look for metal shavings in the oil,
completely drain the unit and put in fresh oil before freezing weather
arrives.

Don Dando