BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2683-re-ot-another-poll-break-harrys-if-he-has-one-heart.html)

Charles January 8th 04 04:33 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

Gould 0738 wrote:

Hate radio is a tool of the right.

Pure horse****. I've heard the left doing the same.

Try standing on both legs gould. It's easier to keep your balance.

-- Charlie

John H January 8th 04 04:41 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:07:03 -0500, DSK wrote:

John H wrote:

PS. What mud did I sling?

I can get an exact quote from your earlier post, but basically you said that Dean
supporters were ignorant of the news and had to be pried away from the Simpsons on TV.
Is your memory going?

DSK

No, I did not. jcs, in his comment, stated, "BFD, as we all know the
American public doesn't know Dean yet."

Here we have jcs making a derogatory comment about the American
public, not me.

I replied, "If those who are going to vote for Dean don't know him yet
(that portion of the American public to which you refer), then I sure
hope Dean doesn't use any big words to woo them away from "The
Simpsons" long enough to get to the polls and vote.

Read what I said, "If...(his supporters)...don't know him yet..." My
point is that if they don't know him yet, then they surely don't spend
much time watching the news or reading the papers.

"If" is a big word. It establishes a hypothesis for a conclusion.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Gould 0738 January 8th 04 05:00 PM

Gould 0738 wrote:

Hate radio is a tool of the right.

Pure horse****. I've heard the left doing the same.

Really?

Do you have some call letters of a radio station that broadcasts the left wing
equivalent of Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage, and the rest? I'd like to know where
you hear the left "do the same" as the right.

Kudos, though: Like NOYB you are willing to admit that the right at least does
it "too"

Dave Hall January 8th 04 05:39 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

On 08 Jan 2004 15:59:18 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

A classic! :-)

The way you spin it, I would think so....

Dave Hall wrote:

Any opinion which differs from those idealogues on the left is
automatically considered "mud slinging".

Let's keep track as we go. First negative, stereotypical reference:
"ideologues"

If it walks like a duck.....

And what would you call it?

this obvious display of
hypocrisy

Oh goody. We're up to two. "hypocrites"

If it talks like a duck......

is in sharp contrast to the left's often promoted concept of
"tolerance"

Now three, "intolerant"

If it swims like a duck.......

Think of your term: "Hate" radio.

The first rule of debate for a leftie: Demonize the opposition.

ROFL!

Did you have an issue to discuss, Dave, or were you merely fulfilling a need
to "demonize the opposition" :-)

There's difference between calling attention to prevalent debate
tactics and making baseless claims.

Dave

Doug Kanter January 8th 04 05:40 PM

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

Any opinion which differs from those idealogues on the left is
automatically considered "mud slinging". This obvious display of
hypocrisy is in sharp contrast to the left's often promoted concept of
"tolerance". It would seem that tolerance has its limits.....

The first rule of debate for a leftie: Demonize the opposition.

Dave

Damn you, Dave Hall! I just lost an imaginary $100.00 bet! I thought for
sure you'd use the term "ad hominem" immediately upon your return. I haven't
read the rest of your messages yet, so maybe all's not lost.

Doug Kanter January 8th 04 05:41 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

"K Smith" wrote in message
Gould 0738 wrote:
Of course there has been no "left" wing smearing of President Bush in

this
newsgroup. None, absolutely none, nada. Yeah right.

Will someone please teach this puta how to edit?

Doug Kanter January 8th 04 05:46 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

If
Dean gets into office he'll tax Grandma right out of her mobile

home!......etc"

Much of the fuel for that fire was supplied by the candidates
themselves. Dean has publicly stated that he intends to roll back all
of our tax cuts. Grandma is part of that group.

Strawman:
Your daughter's all grown up and has her own place to live. You stop by to
annoy her just as she's taking the mail out of the mailbox. You notice she's
got 19 credit card bills in the mail. Being the concerned daddy, you say
"Hey...that's not gonna look so good on your credit report, having that many
credit accounts...even if they're all current". She says "Hey - I was
$8,000.00 in debt last year and now I've got it up to $17,300.00. I applied
for more cards yesterday, and I'm thinking of finding a job that pays me
less".

Analogies:
"applied for more cards" : Sold more Treasury bonds
"job that pays me less: : Lowered taxes (income)

What do you say to her?

Doug Kanter January 8th 04 05:47 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

If it weren't so pathetic, I'd find this blatant duplicity, somewhat
entertaining.

No comma between "duplicity" and "somewhat", Dave. The semester ends in late
May. If you fail, it's summer school for you.

Dave Hall January 8th 04 05:50 PM

On 08 Jan 2004 17:00:02 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

Hate radio is a tool of the right.

Pure horse****. I've heard the left doing the same.

Really?

Do you have some call letters of a radio station that broadcasts the left wing
equivalent of Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage, and the rest? I'd like to know where
you hear the left "do the same" as the right.

Try NPR...

Kudos, though: Like NOYB you are willing to admit that the right at least does
it "too"

I disagree with your characterization of conservative talk radio as
"Hate". Just because you can't counter the points made in a logical
fashion, and it bothers you, doesn't make the content "Hateful".

Dave

Dave Hall January 8th 04 05:51 PM

OT : Another poll to break Harry's (if he has one) heart

On 08 Jan 2004 16:10:08 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

But when those on the left promote their agenda, it's "the truth".
When the right does it, it's "Mud slinging", "Hate radio", "Fascism",
etc.

The mud slinging and hate radio merely
contribute to the polarization that fosters fascism.

Truth is subjective and elusive. People on both sides of every war are
absolutely convinced their particular cause is just.

And the opposition is just as convinced that the other side is wrong.

Few people would ever passionately defend a position they felt was "untrue."
History judges who was wrong, because "history is written by the victorious."

History is full of stories of great people who stood up for their
principles, or who sacrificed their own lives to make for a better
society. Today, we are made up of a great deal of people who do little
more than complain and criticize those very same visionaries, because
they do not agree with them, due to either a lack of principles, or an
equal lack of the depth of vision.

Hate radio is a tool of the right.

That the left refers to the presentation of an opposing opinion as
"Hate" is what I find most offensive.

Blind obedience to the supreme leader and
exalting that person to god-like, infallible
status (even going so far as to claim people who question the supreme leader's
judment are "unpatriotic") is a fascist tendency more closely associated with
the right than with the left.

Who does that?

Mud-slinging is universal.

So therefore it is no more prevalent on the right. People in glass
houses......

Dave