A.Z

Default fuel stabiizers-how effective?

My question is about the effectiveness of stabilizer over a long
period of time.

My boat is normally stored from oct-nov to june-july. At the moment,
I have about 40 litres of 2 month old gazoline in the 100 litre tank.
Should I try to drain it and refill with stabilizer added to the gaz ?
Or should I just add fuel to fill the tank and assume that adding
stabilizer will properly treat all of the fuel for 8 months? The motor
is a 90hp Mercury 4-stroke.

AZ
tony thomas

I would not fill the tank. I never add fuel to my tank for storage.
Filling w/ fresh gas for the first use is much better.
I personally would:
1. Drain fuel and use in auto
2. Mix a small amount of fuel and stabilizer to run the engine so the
engine has fuel stabilizer in it for the storage period.

The other option would be to just add stabilizer to the 40 litres of gas
(haul it around to mix it up good), run the engine to get the mix into it.

Fill w/ fresh gas when you are going to use.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"A.Z" wrote in message
om...
My question is about the effectiveness of stabilizer over a long
period of time.

My boat is normally stored from oct-nov to june-july. At the moment,
I have about 40 litres of 2 month old gazoline in the 100 litre tank.
Should I try to drain it and refill with stabilizer added to the gaz ?
Or should I just add fuel to fill the tank and assume that adding
stabilizer will properly treat all of the fuel for 8 months? The motor
is a 90hp Mercury 4-stroke.

AZ

JAXAshby

you guys are buying Hoolium Foolium. Skip a step. Send the money to me and I
will pray for your fuel tank. You won't even mess up your hands and prayer is
just as effective.

JAXAshby

nomo res pam, can you tell the accepted scientific definition of
"deteriorated"?

Date: 11/13/2004 3:47 PM Eastern Standard Time
On 13 Nov 2004 09:32:02 -0800,
(A.Z) wrote:

My question is about the effectiveness of stabilizer over a long
period of time.

My boat is normally stored from oct-nov to june-july. At the moment,
I have about 40 litres of 2 month old gazoline in the 100 litre tank.
Should I try to drain it and refill with stabilizer added to the gaz ?
Or should I just add fuel to fill the tank and assume that adding
stabilizer will properly treat all of the fuel for 8 months? The motor
is a 90hp Mercury 4-stroke.

Where are you located?

The gas that we get here in New England after 2 months of sitting in the
tank is old and has "deteriorated." SAure, it burns, but it's not as good
as fresh gas. Adding stabilizer to 2-month old gas may not do any good.
The instructions on the stabilizer bottle say that it is best to add it to
fresh gas.

It's best if you can drain the 2-month old gas that you have in your boat
tank (and burn it in your car or other gasoline engine). Then add some
fresh gas and stabilzer to your boat tank and run the engine 10 mins to get
the treated gas into the carb/fuel injection system/whatever.

They used to say that it was best to fill the boat's gas tank to the top
before the winter so as to avoid having moisture condense in the tank.
However, two very good marine mechanics each told me last fall to leave the
level low for the winter after adding stabilizer to the fresh gas. Then in
the spring, fill up the tank with fresh gas.

Sandy