John S

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:11:56 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:52:18 -0500, John S wrote:

OK Harry, show us the way. You be the role model. Drop your derogatory
signature line and do not respond to OT posts. Also, no OT posts by you
either.

Let us see if you can practice what you preach.

Regards
John S

Kerry shot his goose in Ohio and had it cooked there too!

This sort of thing is headed in the right direction. I'd like both of
you to:

-Drop your derogatory signature line
-not respond to OT posts
-and not post OT posts.

Both of you have contributed useful boating information in the
past.... can we get back to that?

Can both of you agree on a proper code of behavior to clean up
rec.boats? Can you stick by it? Can you encourage your respective
reference groups to do so?

It would certainly be a start in the right direction.

It wouldn't hurt for you to chirp a bit at the OT posters too! The more
people to discourage OT posters, the better. Let's all let them know they
should take their OT unpleasant posts elsewhere.

Discouraging OT unpleasant posts is everyone's responsibility.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:34:07 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

1200 baud, indeed. I was one of the poor kids on the block using the
300 baud acoustical modem.

Honey, don't pick up the phone, ok??? Oh, sh*t.... not again....

I had 1200 baud capability because I sprung for the latest and greatest
CPU - a brand new shiny I-286 running Geoworks. (The original "windows"
based software, before Microsoft came along)

My very first computer was an Altair 8800 which the old S-100 bus.
Later on I got a paper tape reader for it - KEWL!!!! Technically, I
suppose the VERY VERY first computer I actually had was a logical
switching circuit I built using transistors and diodes. :)

My first "real" computer was a VIC-20. Now that was really cool -
had a tape recorder for data/program storage and everything!!! Then
it was a secession of Apples, the first really basic BBS I ran using
my first XT with a 20 Mb drive and a 300 baud modem, up to a Spitfire
BBS in the CT PC BBS system which connected through Yale University
(through a three node hop) to ARPA net at a blazing 2400 baud,
eventually becoming the Internet at a blazing 9600 baud, then three of
us local types invested in direct line to UCONN's Internet server
eventually selling that company and...

Oh my god, my life is flashing before my eyes!!!!! :)

I have never "owned" a Mac. As in the political stuff around here, I
was at odds with the rest of the family, I was a die hard PC man from
the git-go. My wife and kids all had Macs though. Still do.

Damn school system.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004
John S

Gene Kearns wrote:

[...]

Mine was a home built single board kit that I bought at a hamfest. Then I
really moved up to a Radio Shack TRS80. I ran up some huge phone bills
downloading programs from the University of Michigan at 300 baud.

Back then, I considered it a hobby. Today it is my career.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:07:03 -0500, John S wrote:

Mine was a home built single board kit that I bought at a hamfest. Then I
really moved up to a Radio Shack TRS80. I ran up some huge phone bills
downloading programs from the University of Michigan at 300 baud.

Back then, I considered it a hobby. Today it is my career.

I think everybody went into the business at one time or another.

Later,

Tom

"Beware the one legged man in a butt
kicking contest - he is there for a
reason."

Wun Hung Lo - date unknown
Eisboch

John S wrote:

Mine was a home built single board kit that I bought at a hamfest. Then I
really moved up to a Radio Shack TRS80. I ran up some huge phone bills
downloading programs from the University of Michigan at 300 baud.

Back then, I considered it a hobby. Today it is my career.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!

My first "computer" was a Texas Instruments TI-4 or something like that.
It was a small unit in a black case and you programmed it in some form
of rudimentary TI-Basic. After several hours of programming and
de-bugging you could hook it up to a television (through the RF
modulator) and watch little stick figures walk around on the screen. I
played with it for a couple of weeks until my son (now 30 years old)
decided it was a bank and dropped a penny into one of the ventilation
slots.

After that I also had a Radio Shack Trash 80. It was actually fairly
advanced for it's time. Next came the IBM compatible model prior to the
release of the 286. I have forgotten what it's nomenclature was - 8106
or 8196 or something like that. It could actually run the first flight
simulator program - the airplane was a little cross flying over a basic
map of the US.

It's really amazing, when you think about it, to consider the advances
made in the past 20 - 30 years.

Eisboch

John S

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:32:53 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

John S wrote:

[...]

Oh the good old days. I think the Trash 80 had a Z80 Motorola chip and the
first IBM pc's had the Intel 8080. That was a long time ago or so it seems.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!
Wayne.B

wrote:
I have never "owned" a Mac. As in the political stuff around here, I
was at odds with the rest of the family, I was a die hard PC man from
the git-go. My wife and kids all had Macs though. Still do.

Damn school system.

===================================

Don't blame the schools, blame Apple. They did a great job promoting
themselves in schools with a carefully orchestrated marketing
campaign.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:32:53 -0500, Eisboch wrote:
Next came the IBM compatible model prior to the
release of the 286. I have forgotten what it's nomenclature was - 8106
or 8196 or something like that. It could actually run the first flight
simulator program - the airplane was a little cross flying over a basic
map of the US.

==========================

My recollection is that the first IBM PC used an 8088 chip. The basic
model came with 2 floppy drives and was known as the IBM/PC. The
upscale version had the same chip but included a 5 meg hard disk,
later upgraded to 10 meg if my memory is correct. It was known as the
XT. Several years later the 16 bit 8286 chip came along and was
called the AT. All of the early PCs were dog slow by today's
standards but they were pretty cool at the time and totally changed
the landscape in most offices.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:
I have never "owned" a Mac. As in the political stuff around here, I
was at odds with the rest of the family, I was a die hard PC man from
the git-go. My wife and kids all had Macs though. Still do.

Damn school system.

===================================

Don't blame the schools, blame Apple. They did a great job promoting
themselves in schools with a carefully orchestrated marketing
campaign.

I'll blame anybody I damn well want to blame. :)

Later,

Tom

John S

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:16:23 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

[...]

You're right, now I remember. The first chip was the 8088. Thanks for
jogging the old memory.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!