Chris S

Default Electric motors and battery combinations...>>>

Might want to also check E-bay as Ive sold my Minn Kota there and also have
seen some good deals there as well

Chris S

"Marty S." wrote in message
I'd like to thank everyone who responded for their advice on the topic of
electric motors and battery life. (I can only use electric motors on the
reservoirs near me).

I will probably be buying a 65lb thrust 24volt motor this spring to go

with
my 12' jon boat. Given what y'all said and that I'd probably have two
batteries in the boat with me anyway (either in series for a 12volt system
or in parallel for a 24volt system (I think that's right??)), I think that
this combination should be a reasonable balance of power, motor

efficiency,
and battery life. Now I have to wait for my Bass Pro and Cabela's

catalogs
to arrive!!!

Thanks again.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...
Perhaps you could use a "Honda" EX1000 generator to recharge the
batteries on the fly. The unit is lightweight, whisper quiet and puts
out 7 amps ac and 8 amps dc. Add in a decent battery charger and it
would be like having an alternator. I keep larger (EX2000) unit on my
boat (26' Formula PC) just to maintain the house batteries when
anchored. The gene sips fuel with an eyedropper, and I can carry on a
normal conversation with the wife standing next to it.

Just a thought,

CF

Marty S. wrote:

I'm looking for information about electric motors and the most

efficient
battery combinations in terms of weight of adding a battery vs. the

power
that going to 24volt might give me. I live in an area that doesn't

allow
gas motors on its reservoirs; only electric motors, so I could only

power my
12' jon boat with electric. I'd like to match up the most efficient
combination of motor size, battery, and weight. I would like to know

if
get longer run time and/or more power with a 50lb 12volt motor or a

similar
sized 24volt motor? Or, would I get a better weight-power-endurance
combination getting a 36volt, 100+ lb motor??

Also, would I get more run time from 2 batteries (1 to run, and one as

spare, i.e., "refuel") with a 12volt motor, or 2 batteries running
simultaneously on a 24volt motor?

questions, questions, questions...

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Marty S.

I bought the boat and trailer on ebay. It came with a Honda 2hp 4 stroke
that I don't need, which I'm going to be selling when Spring gets closer.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA