Default Mercrusier water pump follow up post

Thanks to all who gave me some good advice on replacing the impeller
in my Merc water pump. Some previous post's I read said to use some
sort of gasket seal when replacing the old gaskets. I asked the
service dept. at the shop I use what kind I needed and he said you
don't have to use any. Now, I'm confused, I thought gasket seal was
always needed when replacing gaskets on anything. Yea, or nay.
Thanks,
HJJ
Ken

Gasket sealer is not necessary. I've been replacing them for over 10 years
without sealer and have had no problems. The top gasket will come with a
sealing strip on it, that should be enough. If you do want to use sealer, it
won't hurt. I strongly recommend a non-hardening type sealer. Anything that
seals permanently will cause a serious headache the next time you try to
renew the thing.

The biggest thing to be careful with is the installation of the face seal,
the rubber seal that goes on top of the housing. Push it on too tight and
the seal will come apart from rubbing on the housing. If it is too loose it
won't do the job. Both problems can lead to high speed overheating. MercC
has a little plastic installer for the seal that sets the height just right.
Be sure to use it.

wrote in message ...
Thanks to all who gave me some good advice on replacing the impeller
in my Merc water pump. Some previous post's I read said to use some
sort of gasket seal when replacing the old gaskets. I asked the
service dept. at the shop I use what kind I needed and he said you
don't have to use any. Now, I'm confused, I thought gasket seal was
always needed when replacing gaskets on anything. Yea, or nay.
Thanks,
HJJ

BenC

wrote in message ...
Thanks to all who gave me some good advice on replacing the impeller
in my Merc water pump. Some previous post's I read said to use some
sort of gasket seal when replacing the old gaskets. I asked the
service dept. at the shop I use what kind I needed and he said you
don't have to use any. Now, I'm confused, I thought gasket seal was
always needed when replacing gaskets on anything. Yea, or nay.
Thanks,
HJJ

the gasket goo being referred too is perfect seal. ill only use it too
prevent corrosion. newer leg housings with ss water pumps dont like
each other and i find perfect seal an excellent corrosion preventer.

Joe Blizzard

wrote
I thought gasket seal was always needed when
replacing gaskets on anything. Yea, or nay.

My Mercruiser service manual doesn't call for any sealer on the water pump
gaskets. I've never used any, and one good reason not to is that I replace
my impeller fairly regularly and it's nice not to have the gaskets stuck and
going to pieces when I pull the housing off. I don't think you need a
perfect seal (tm) on the water pump gaskets because all you'd be doing is
keeping water from getting into water. Obviously you don't want massive
leaks because you want the pumped water to go where it's supposed to, but a
little seepage out of the pump is just going to go into the surrounding
water there in the exhaust passage. The water pump base has an o-ring around
its outside diameter where it plugs into the gear housing and a seal where
the shaft goes through, and those are the things that keep the water and
gear lube apart. The one place the manual does call for sealer is the metal
insert that goes into the pump housing, the thing the impeller rides in,
presumably to help keep it from knocking it's little tab off and going for a
spin.

All this applies to my Type-1 drive with its plastic pump body and oil seal
in the base. Yours may be different.