RGrew176

Default O.T. Momentum shifting?

Reuters Poll: Bush Opens Four-Point Lead on Kerry

Fri Oct 15, 7:12 AM ET Politics - Reuters

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) opened a four-point
lead on Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) the day after the final
debate between the White House rivals, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll
released on Friday.

Bush led Kerry 48-44 percent in the latest three-day tracking poll, which
included one night of polling done after Wednesday's debate in Tempe, Arizona.
Bush led Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts, by only one point, 46-45 percent,
the previous day.

An improvement in Bush's showing among undecideds and a strong response from
his base Republican supporters helped fuel the president's rise.

"The good news for the president is that he has improved his performance among
the small group of undecideds," said pollster John Zogby, who found 6 percent
of likely voters are undecided. "Nearly a quarter now say that he deserves to
be re-elected, up from 18 percent in our last poll."

Zogby said the difference between Kerry's 79 percent support among Democrats
and Bush's 89 percent support from Republicans also should be "worrisome" for
Kerry in such a tight race.

"Kerry needs to close the deal with his fellow Democrats," Zogby said.

Both candidates headed to the swing state of Nevada in upbeat mood on Thursday
after their final debate and renewed their battle during separate appearances
in Las Vegas over who was best suited to lead the middle class to prosperity.

The focus of the race now turns to less than a dozen crucial battleground
states, with Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin and Iowa -- where Bush and Kerry are
running neck and neck -- all certain to see plenty of the candidates down the
stretch.

The new tracking poll found Bush pulling into a tie with Kerry among Catholics
and women voters, and moving slightly ahead with young voters. Kerry still
holds a solid lead among seniors.

The poll of 1,220 likely voters was taken Tuesday through Thursday and has a
margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points. The rolling poll will
continue through Nov. 1 -- the day before the election.

A tracking poll combines the results of three consecutive nights of polling,
then drops the first night's results each time a new night is added. It allows
pollsters to record shifts in voter sentiment as they happen.

The poll showed independent candidate Ralph Nader (news - web sites), blamed by
some Democrats for drawing enough votes from Al Gore (news - web sites) to cost
him the election in 2000, with the support of 1.1 percent of likely voters.

Gould 0738

More and more people are seeing that Kerry is a lying scumbag.

John H

My dad and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. He and his retired
buddies are all Rush Limbaugh fans, and they get together over coffee at
McDonalds in his little town to cuss and discuss about how the "liberals" are
ruining this once proud country etc, etc etc. For obvious reasons, we never
talk politics- my wife, my mom, my sisters, and anybody else within ear shot
always intervene and send us off to "neutral corners." We share a strong family
bond, but we disagree on politics.

I was sure surprised when he introduced the election in conversation today.
He said, "I'll tell you right now who's going to lose the election in a couple
of weeks."

I thought, "Oh, oh. Here it comes. Dad thinks the Bush campaign and the RNC
have been way too light on Kerry so far, and he's stated in the past he wished
they would get serious about trashing him as badly as he deserves for a
change......"

But, I bit my tongue and replied, "Sure, Dad. Who's going to "lose" the
election?"

"Both of us. All of us. The American public. I think I finally realized that it
doesn't matter which of these guys wins in a couple of weeks, we're going to be
in big trouble."

He used to be such a *huge* Bush fan.
I guess an older dog can learn a few new tricks. :-)
Jon Smithe

Gould,
Your father is correct, both candidates suck. Bush sucks, but you forgot
that Kerry sucks just as bad.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Jon Smithe

John,
My problem is trying to decide who sucks worse. To be honest, at his point,
I think Kerry's as president with a majority republican house and senate
might be the best solution.

There is no problem with us disagreeing, I doubt if anyone agrees on
everything.

What I think is funny is the left wingers in here who think I am a Rush
Ditto head who would just vote for whoever the Republican Party tells me to
vote for. ; )

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:37:03 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

Gould,
Your father is correct, both candidates suck. Bush sucks, but you forgot
that Kerry sucks just as bad.

And that's where we differ. I think Kerry sucks just a little bit
more!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who can do binary and those who can't!

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:42:40 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

John,
My problem is trying to decide who sucks worse. To be honest, at his point,
I think Kerry's as president with a majority republican house and senate
might be the best solution.

~~ snippity snip ~~

I have often thought that way myself, but my problem with Senator
Kerry is a lot deeper that I originally thought. I just can't get
past some issues that really annoy me and have had since his early
days in MA politics.

And I don't like President Bush and what he's done to the educational
system in this country among other things.

What to do - what to do....

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

John,
My problem is trying to decide who sucks worse. To be honest, at his point,
I think Kerry's as president with a majority republican house and senate
might be the best solution.

~~ snippity snip ~~

I have often thought that way myself, but my problem with Senator
Kerry is a lot deeper that I originally thought. I just can't get
past some issues that really annoy me and have had since his early
days in MA politics.

And I don't like President Bush and what he's done to the educational
system in this country among other things.

What to do - what to do....

Don't vote...

Can't - it's against my religion. :)

or vote for a third party candidate.

Nader?

BBAAWWWWAAAHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I don't think so.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
thunder

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:42:40 +0000, Jon Smithe wrote:

What I think is funny is the left wingers in here who think I am a Rush
Ditto head who would just vote for whoever the Republican Party tells me
to vote for. ; )

If I were just a little more cynical, I would be thinking the Republican
Party should be telling you to vote for Kerry. Another Bush
administration, has the potential to destroy the Republican Party, a la
Nixon's Watergate. It took Ronald Reagan to re-vitalize the Republicans,
and I don't see any Reagans in the immediate future, Arnold included.

An interesting look at Bush's approval ratings:

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/7638/aprov...lert_chart.gif
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:46:08 -0400, thunder
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:42:40 +0000, Jon Smithe wrote:

What I think is funny is the left wingers in here who think I am a Rush
Ditto head who would just vote for whoever the Republican Party tells me
to vote for. ; )

If I were just a little more cynical, I would be thinking the Republican
Party should be telling you to vote for Kerry. Another Bush
administration, has the potential to destroy the Republican Party, a la
Nixon's Watergate. It took Ronald Reagan to re-vitalize the Republicans,
and I don't see any Reagans in the immediate future, Arnold included.

An interesting look at Bush's approval ratings:

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/7638/aprov...lert_chart.gif

Ohhhhhh - pretty.

Later,

Tom
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:48:56 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

~~ snippity do da ~~

Take a look at Badnarik. If you normally lean Republican, you might like
some of his positions.

Nah - he's a fruit cake. Peroutka is the same. I'm sure they are
nice guys, but way too right for me.

Cobb is a Commie and Nader can't get elected dog catcher in his own
hometown - how the hell does he think he can be elected President?

Nope - I've never thrown away a vote except for John Anderson and that
was for a reason - it had some meaning.

The problem is that the fruit cakes running for President don't
realize that it begins at the local level and builds from there.
There has to be an organization. Perot came closest to actually
achieving this and I wish he hadn't gone chasing Martians because it
could have been a good thing with a solid grass roots organization to
make things happen.

I don't see anyone with the cache go pull it off.

Later,

Tom
Jon Smithe

It really is bad having such two sad sacks to vote for, and I am concerned
that the extremes of either party are going to be our downfall.
Until the moderates get involved in the primaries and helping by
volunteering extremely early in the primaries, we will continue to get the
**** we have had for the last two elections.

Frick or Frack which one to vote for.