Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default power steering leak

My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine and there is a power steering leak
somewhere. I have checked the connections on both ends and they appear dry
but sometimes the bottom of the resevoir is oily. I'm told that there is a
shaft seal on the pump that may becausing the problem. I have two
questions:

1. Is this seal easy to replace or should I just plan on getting a new
pump?

2. This engine is based on the GM 350 block. Can I substitute an auto
power steering pump which will probably be less?

Thanks for any imput.

Frank

Calif Bill

I have had the o-ring on the body to tank leak on a couple of power steering
pumps. They are not hard to change. If it is a GM power steering pump, you
have to buy the special power steering pump pulley puller to get the pump
off. Any good auto parts store carriees them. About $10 after market, from
what I remember.
Bill

"Karl Denninger" wrote in message

In article ,
Frank Taylor, Jr. wrote:
My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine and there is a power steering leak
somewhere. I have checked the connections on both ends and they appear

dry
but sometimes the bottom of the resevoir is oily. I'm told that there is

shaft seal on the pump that may becausing the problem. I have two
questions:

1. Is this seal easy to replace or should I just plan on getting a new
pump?

Replace the pump.

2. This engine is based on the GM 350 block. Can I substitute an auto
power steering pump which will probably be less?

Yes. It is not an electrical component and thus there is no ignition
issue.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights

Activist
http://www.denninger.net Tired of spam at your company? LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!

Greg

It is still worth checking the price of a pump. If a new/factory rebuilt one is
$30-40 or so I am not sure it is worth fooling with it. Any brand name store,
discount or otherwise usually gurantees these parts. There is no gurantee that
the pump you just put a seal in, won't spin a bearing a month later.