WRAMANAGER

Default Horizon 600FF windlass experiences?

I've been getting mixed reviews concerning the durability/reliability of the
Horizon 600 free fall windlass. I would appreciate hearing of your experience
with this unit before making a purchasing decision.
Rod McInnis

"WRAMANAGER" wrote in message
I've been getting mixed reviews concerning the durability/reliability of

the
Horizon 600 free fall windlass. I would appreciate hearing of your

experience
with this unit before making a purchasing decision.

I bet they work fine when used as the manufacturer intended.

I bet they will fail in short order if they are overloaded.

Many of these smaller winches are NOT intended to haul a large boat into a
stiff wind up to the anchor, then break it free and finally haul it aboard.
Such a load will quickly overheat the motor. If you motor up until you are
directly over the anchor, cleat the line off, use the boat's motors to break
the anchor free and then use the winch to raise the anchor from the bottom
it should work fine.

Why don't you tell us what size and style your boat is and maybe we can tell
you if that windlass is appropriate or not.

Rod McInnis