JAXAshby

Default strains on catenaries

some people are having a tough time with the meaning of the word catenary, and
are thus leaving themselves open to serious damage to their boats when
anchoring.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm gives a rudimentary explaination
of catenaires and the forces thereupon. take notice of the next to last
paragraph.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 28 Sep 2004 16:11:23 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

some people are having a tough time with the meaning of the word catenary, and
are thus leaving themselves open to serious damage to their boats when
anchoring.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm gives a rudimentary explaination
of catenaires and the forces thereupon. take notice of the next to last
paragraph.

Just reading that made my head hurt.

Again. :)

Later,

Tom
Don White

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
some people are having a tough time with the meaning of the word catenary,

and
are thus leaving themselves open to serious damage to their boats when
anchoring.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm gives a rudimentary

explaination
of catenaires and the forces thereupon. take notice of the next to last
paragraph.

You're wearing those Speedos too tight. How would these forces affect a 30
foot chain?

JAXAshby

someone accused me of being an instructor at age 14, and I replied I NEVER
wanted to try to teach anything to idgits.

How would these forces affect a 30
foot chain?

shows my point.
Joe Blizzard

"JAXAshby" wrote
http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm
gives a rudimentary explaination of
catenaires and the forces thereupon.
take notice of the next to last paragraph.

"This looks like a good spot to anchor. Someone fetch me a graphing
calculator."

Harry Krause

Joe Blizzard wrote:
"JAXAshby" wrote
http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm
gives a rudimentary explaination of
catenaires and the forces thereupon.
take notice of the next to last paragraph.

"This looks like a good spot to anchor. Someone fetch me a graphing
calculator."

Your best bet: wrap the anchor chain around JaxAsse's ankle and toss the
chain overboard.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
JAXAshby

hoary, your miserably low score on your math SAT's is showing again. were out
a bit late the night before you took it?

Harry Krause

JAXAshby

no need. just remember -- as junnie can't seem to understand -- that once the
wind and waves pick up you MUST have a stretch in the rode provided by rode
only available as nylon or plaited line (unless, of course, you have prior hung
several or more 25# kellets in the middle of your all chain rode).

"This looks like a good spot to anchor. Someone fetch me a graphing
calculator."

JAXAshby

see, junnie, once again you tell us an anchor is REQUIRED to drag, or else
something breaks.

the sorry thing is, junnie, your claim that dragging anchor is required. it
isn't, *if* you anchor properly, and all chain ain't proper in wind and waves.

"Gene Kearns"
Date: 9/28/2004 2:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 28 Sep 2004 16:11:23 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

some people are having a tough time with the meaning of the word catenary,

and
are thus leaving themselves open to serious damage to their boats when
anchoring.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm gives a rudimentary
explaination
of catenaires and the forces thereupon. take notice of the next to last
paragraph.

No duh, genius. I posted this same link about 5 times while you
spouted on about your narrow and incomplete understanding of
catenaries AS THEY RELATE TO ANCHORING.

Not the least of which....

"This equation is integrated as shown in the Figure to find y'(x), and
again to find y(x), using the conditions that y = y' = 0 at x = 0."

and your

immovable anchor conundrum....

all of which make this argument specious.

Yet another example of:

"Sit up and Beg."

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JAXAshby

junnie, if you read it, how come you don't understand it? And if you
understand it, how come you post stating you don't?

"Gene Kearns"