Clams Canino

Default Autopilot for boats?

Is there such a thing that ties a GPS into a Teleflx sterring system? When
we're out exploring the lake (at 1200 rpm) I find myself getting quite
annoyed having to sit behind the wheel 24/7 to do silly little course
corrections.

I'd much rather program in a route and only manipulate the wheel to avoid
traffic.

-W

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Clams Canino :
Is there such a thing that ties a GPS into a Teleflx sterring system? When
we're out exploring the lake (at 1200 rpm) I find myself getting quite
annoyed having to sit behind the wheel 24/7 to do silly little course
corrections.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=42560

I had a similar model made by King (I think the model was AP2000?) on a
34' sportfisherman. Worked OK, steered a bit of a snakey course over
rollers on the ocean.

If I didn't have to spend the bucks on more important things right now,
I'd buy a Nautamatic TR1 autopilot for my kicker motor in a heartbeat.

Dan

--
I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican.

-- Dan Quayle
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:17:15 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

Is there such a thing that ties a GPS into a Teleflx sterring system? When
we're out exploring the lake (at 1200 rpm) I find myself getting quite
annoyed having to sit behind the wheel 24/7 to do silly little course
corrections.

I'd much rather program in a route and only manipulate the wheel to avoid
traffic.

Interesting you should ask.

I was messing around with this a couple of years ago using a Magellan
M330 GPS with the NMEA 183 interface. I could get the GPS to talk to
the interface just fine and could translate the servo info to a very
fine degree.

In practice, however, I couldn't get a good friction control to steer
the boat. And then, when I was testing the GPS/Servo combination, I
noticed that the info from the 330 was kind of herky jerky - it would
follow the track fine, but in fits and starts to make the course
corrections. It would steer one way, then another way in short
bursts. Kind of weird.

I haven't revisited the issue. Maybe I will this winter when all the
rods, lures and flies are made.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
A boater

wrote:

Is there such a thing that ties a GPS into a Teleflx sterring system? When
we're out exploring the lake (at 1200 rpm) I find myself getting quite
annoyed having to sit behind the wheel 24/7 to do silly little course
corrections.

I'd much rather program in a route and only manipulate the wheel to avoid
traffic.

-W

I use a Cetrek autopilot:

http://www.cetrek.co.uk/USA/leisure_pilots.htm

I have a permanently installed 730 controller on at the upper helm and use a
handheld 715 controller that I can plug into jacks at the cabin helm, a jack
at the stern, and another on the command bridge.

The autopilot system is connected to an older garmin 76 via a simple NMEA
serial interface. The garmin is a blessing when I get out 20 or more miles
from home port and want to get back in a hurry. It puts me on a perfect
straight line back home. I simply route the autopilot back to home, set the
autopilot to follow the GPS instead of compass, put the boat in a slow
forward speed until it gets on course and then open her up. Of course I have
also pre-programmed several routes into the garmin that I use when trolling
for walleye. All I have to do then is keep an eye out for other boats and
reel in the fish. In Lake Erie, we use side planers a lot. The autopilot
sure helps prevent getting a tangled mess when the wind and waves are up.

Quite frankly, I probably am on autopilot 90% of the time, just steering by
the electronic compass and using the rotating course knob to fine tune
direction every once in a while.

You didn't mention if your Teleflex steering system was mechanical or
hydraulic. Because of my dual helm, I opted to convert the steering system
to hydraulic which I did on my own. BTW, Cetrek is owned by Teleflex so the
conversion is easy for boats already equipped with either hydraulic or
mechanical steering.

Once you have a boat with an autopilot that is easy to use, you won't ever
want to go back. to steering the boat yourself..

Autopilot fails on Raytheon ST5000+ with "No Data" error Donagh Cruising 6 June 12th 04 05:01 PM
Autopilot fails on Raytheon ST5000+ with "No Data" error Donagh Electronics 5 June 11th 04 06:40 PM
Jet Boat Autopilot Larry Electronics 18 December 3rd 03 08:59 PM
Need Navico t2500 Autopilot Manual Dennis Vogel ASA 0 November 9th 03 01:25 PM
Selecting a autopilot E. ten Bos General 0 September 22nd 03 07:45 PM