Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ZanderU

Default Q: Things to look for when purchasing a used aluminum (motor)yacht?

Hi all,

I already know that when buying an aluminium yacht you'd better check
carefully for any electrolysis/galvanic corrosion, but are there any
tell-tale signs of such corrosion? Where/how to look? I'm also a bit
confused about how to electrically measure whether electrolysis is
taking place. Should one look for a voltage difference between a zinc
anode hung overboard and the engine block?

Also I suppose there is no necessity to carefully keep a paint cover
on aluminium given?

Are there any other aluminium gotcha's?

Finally, I hear that aluminium has a bad reputation in terms of noises
when cruising, is that limited to thin hulls for smaller yachts or
not?

Thanks for any input, my real email is amulder(AT)rootshell.be