BoatBanter.com

-   -   Q: Things to look for when purchasing a used aluminum (motor)yacht? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/23044-q-things-look-when-purchasing-used-aluminum-motor-yacht.html)

ZanderU September 22nd 04 11:28 AM

Q: Things to look for when purchasing a used aluminum (motor)yacht?

Hi all,

I already know that when buying an aluminium yacht you'd better check
carefully for any electrolysis/galvanic corrosion, but are there any
tell-tale signs of such corrosion? Where/how to look? I'm also a bit
confused about how to electrically measure whether electrolysis is
taking place. Should one look for a voltage difference between a zinc
anode hung overboard and the engine block?

Also I suppose there is no necessity to carefully keep a paint cover
on aluminium given?

Are there any other aluminium gotcha's?

Finally, I hear that aluminium has a bad reputation in terms of noises
when cruising, is that limited to thin hulls for smaller yachts or
not?

Thanks for any input, my real email is amulder(AT)rootshell.be

Short Wave Sportfishing September 22nd 04 12:21 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 03:28:39 -0700, (ZanderU) wrote:

Hi all,

I already know that when buying an aluminium yacht you'd better check
carefully for any electrolysis/galvanic corrosion, but are there any
tell-tale signs of such corrosion? Where/how to look? I'm also a bit
confused about how to electrically measure whether electrolysis is
taking place. Should one look for a voltage difference between a zinc
anode hung overboard and the engine block?

Try this:

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/galvanic/

Also I suppose there is no necessity to carefully keep a paint cover
on aluminium given?

Are there any other aluminium gotcha's?

Finally, I hear that aluminium has a bad reputation in terms of noises
when cruising, is that limited to thin hulls for smaller yachts or
not?

I can only speak to a Pacific boat that I test drove this spring. This
boat in fact.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/blacklabmarine_1811_9480669

It's not as noisy as you might think - roughly the same as a heavy
fiberglass boat. Aluminum rides nice too.

Later,

Tom