Gould 0738

Default There goes another $700, but my boat will be a virgin!

The repower continues.

One of the surprises? Needed a new panel.

Could have sneaked by with the old instruments- but it would have required
taking the senders off the old engine and installing them on the new one. Could
have dodged the $90 wiring harness bullet- but that would have involved
splicing a bunch of wires at a block. The cheap route began to look like it
would require the specific assistance of Roy, Darlene, Cubby, and Annette- ears
and all. It's the half measures that come back to haunt ya, IMO.

The good news, since the engine is brand new I can justify going to a zero-hour
meter. (With a rebuild, I think the best thing to do is to keep the old meter
in place and make a note of the rebuild in the log). I was considering
installing a new Hobbs meter for the new engine anyway, and the new panel has a
tach with a digital hour meter built in.

Zero hours! It will be like having a brand new boat.

Come to think of it, there are a few boats I could own, brand new, for the
price of the engine and installation. :-)

DownTime

In case it helps make you feel any better(it does for me!), look at it this
way. I learned recently from another customer at a well-known local boating
retail store that the value placed on boat related items is easier to handle
when it is phrased in terms of 'boat dollars'. For anyone who owns a boat,
think about the math in these terms; $100(to a non-boater) is equal to $1
(ONE !) boat dollar. For example, "NO dear, I did not spend much today at
XYZ-Marine, I only spent 3 boat dollars!"

Happy boating and all the best with the new engine. We just got our new boat
two weeks ago and just today reached the 14 hour mark on the meter!!!