Short Wave Sportfishing

Default It's the end of the world....

as we know it, and I feel fine.... :)

Beware of the End of the World (Wide Web); Says Intel
, 09.10.04, 12:04 PM ET

Sep 10, 2004 (financialwire.net via COMTEX) -- (FinancialWire)
Remember those "End of the World" signs? Well, Intel Corp. (NASDAQ:
INTC) says it may be nearer than we think. Except the sign says End of
the World Wide Web.

It's a vision apparently shared by Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO),
Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) and AT&T Corp. (NYSE: T), all of whom are
working feverishly, either together or apart to save the World Wide
Web, which Intel and others see as becoming so overloaded it will
eventually break.

At Intel's technical conference, CTO Patrick Gelsinger said the
Internet will begin to collapse as millions of new computer users from
developing nations begin to sign on.

"We're running up on some architectural limitations," Gelsinger was
quoted as saying.

Gelsinger's solution is to build a new network over the current
Internet, that would monitor and direct traffic and better fight
security threats or traffic surges.

It's PlanetLab, some 429 computer nodes in 181 sites around the world,
is supported by 150 universities and corporate research labs,
including Princeton, Cambridge, Hewlett-Packard and AT&T.

However, Cisco controls most of the routers and switchers comprising
the current web, and it may have other ideas.

And it's all Al Gore's fault because he invented it. :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717