Gary Warner

Default Ideas for a scale?

We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

John Gaquin

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

1.) I presume you've tried local rental yards, including contractor yards.

2.) You should be able to find a bathroom scale that goes to 280 or 300 for
not much money. Counterweight the aft end of the trailer with known weight
such that you're in the usable range of your scale, then calculate the net
effect on the tongue weight of the removal of the counterweight, based on
tentative wheel position.

Gary Warner

"John Gaquin" wrote

2.) You should be able to find a bathroom scale that goes to 280 or 300

for
not much money. Counterweight the aft end of the trailer with known

weight
such that you're in the usable range of your scale, then calculate the net
effect on the tongue weight of the removal of the counterweight, based on
tentative wheel position.

That might work. Lets see.... I could put a known weight, say me, on the
end.
Just have to recalculate how that effects the tongue for each proposed wheel
position.

James Gemmill

make a tripod bridge with the scale as one foott of of the tripod.
Multipy the weight shown by three. Use two by sixes and two by fours
for the tripod.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:01:48 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

bowgus

Well ... I'll probably get shot for this but ... my boat/trailer weighs in
at about 3000 lbs and I guess I have about 60 lbs tongue weight (because I
can lift it with a bit of effort ... hmmm ... maybe I'll go measure it later
when I'm out setting up the block heater plug in ... man it feels cold
today) which is nowhere near the recommended 10% min. Anyway, by moving the
trailer tower back by about 1/2 inch thereby reducing the tongue weight each
time the boat was in the drink, I arrived at the current setting which is
more stable at highway speeds than when I first started (up to 100 kmh is
very stable even in mild crosswinds, at 110 that uncomfortable feeling sets
in). My opinion the 14" radial (trailer) tires set at 45 lbs contributes a
lot to the stability. Another thing ... because I trailer everywhere, I
chose a trailer with rollers (makes launching in various conditions easier)
and by setting the rear rollers as far apart as possible but still
supporting thet I/O properly, I lowered the height (albeit only slightly)
which I think also contributes to the stability. Additional info ... I'm
trailering with a 3100 lb Cherokee (rated 750 lbs tongue weight).

So assuming your boat/trailer is about 4000 lbs, and assuming proper
wheels/tires for the job (I'd guess you have a tandem), maybe try the 200
lbs to start ...

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

Mark Browne

Gary,

You should be able to rent scales from your friendly local scale dealer.
Most maintain a rental fleet for industrial cycle counts - the higher
capacity scales are used to count castings and other heavy items. You will
have to decide how much money is too much.

Mark Browne

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

Jim Irvine

Consider constructing a simple and crude balance type scale. You would need
a fulcrum, a stout plank or piece of steel and some free weights. Set the
desired weight on one end, fulcrum in the center and set the tongue on the
opposite end. Adjust axel position until the scale is more or less balanced.

We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

Wayne.B

wrote:
We're building our trailer and are in the process of deciding
where to place the axels so that the tongue weight comes out
to 400 to 500 lbs. Our bathroom scale only goes to 200 lbs
or so. And we can't move the trailer & boat to go use the
truck scales at the local yards. Looking online, scales that
go to 500lbs are $600 or so.

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Here's a link to the scale that I bought when I was going through the
same excercise as you a

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

It's a nice compact little unit that works well, and costs a little
over $100 if my memory is correct. The other suggestions regarding
construction of a balance beam or a tripod will also work, albeit with
slightly more effort.

Calif Bill

Most bathroom scales go 250#, just use 2 scales and a couple of 2x4's to
make a bipod or H shaped frame. Highway patrol mobile scales always weigh
each wheel and add them up.
Bill

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"John Gaquin" wrote

2.) You should be able to find a bathroom scale that goes to 280 or 300

for
not much money. Counterweight the aft end of the trailer with known

weight
such that you're in the usable range of your scale, then calculate the

net
effect on the tongue weight of the removal of the counterweight, based

on
tentative wheel position.

That might work. Lets see.... I could put a known weight, say me, on the
end.
Just have to recalculate how that effects the tongue for each proposed

wheel
position.

John Wentworth

So, any ideas on how we can do this measure and/or where to
find (buy or rent) scales without spending too much $$$?

Thanks,
Gary

Check out this site: http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm#refrn9

They offer a 0-1000 pound scale for $110 retail.